GoBe'S

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

jack

GoBe'S

Post by jack » Thu May 20, 2010 3:55 pm

DOSE ANYONE KNOW IF THE GOBE'S THAT ARE IN THE SL RIVER BEEN SEEN IN BLACK LAKE. I KNOW THE SMALL MOUTH BASS IN THE SL RIVER LOVE THEM AND I GOT A FEW LURES THAT LOOK LIKE THEM BUT I HAVEN'T USED THEM ON BLACK LAKE YET.JACK

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Thu May 20, 2010 4:44 pm

You are right Jack. Goby imitation baits are killers on smallmouth in the St. Lawrence. As far as I know the gobies have not entered Black Lake....yet. And let's hope they don't.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Thu May 20, 2010 9:14 pm

I fish the SL as well as Black lake. I have heard all about these but haven't seen what they look like. Can you put a link here of the lure you use that looks just like them? I would like to buy some. Thanks

FishingLuffys

gobies !

Post by FishingLuffys » Fri May 21, 2010 6:37 am

all things that enter the waterways are not bad and they find a balance at some point , they said the zebra muscles would destroy lake erie , but they hav cleaned the lake , just put on a snorkle in 15' of water and hav a look, and the gobies hav grown the smallies to 3 to 6 pound average and yes the gobie baits crush them there also, good fishing !!!!!

jack

GOBY BAIT LINK

Post by jack » Fri May 21, 2010 8:24 am

I GOT MY GOBY BAITS FROM WWW.CABELAS.COM , ONE IS CALLED THE WILDEYE GOBY FROM STORM AND THE OTHER IS A BERLEY GULP BAIT. I GUESS BECAUSE THE WATER IS RUNNING OUT FROM BLACK LAKE INTO THE SL RIVER THEIR NOT IN THE LAKE LET. THE MUSSELS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE IN THE LAKE AND CAN BE A BIG PROBLEM AS EAT THE SAME THING AS THE PAN FISH THAT BLACK LAKE BASS AND PIKE FEED ON. I GUESS TIME WILL TELL. GOOD FISKING JACK

Phil
Site Admin

Re: GOBY BAIT LINK

Post by Phil » Fri May 21, 2010 8:35 am

jack wrote:I GOT MY GOBY BAITS FROM WWW.CABELAS.COM , ONE IS CALLED THE WILDEYE GOBY FROM STORM AND THE OTHER IS A BERLEY GULP BAIT. I GUESS BECAUSE THE WATER IS RUNNING OUT FROM BLACK LAKE INTO THE SL RIVER THEIR NOT IN THE LAKE LET. THE MUSSELS ON THE OTHER HAND ARE IN THE LAKE AND CAN BE A BIG PROBLEM AS EAT THE SAME THING AS THE PAN FISH THAT BLACK LAKE BASS AND PIKE FEED ON. I GUESS TIME WILL TELL. GOOD FISKING JACK
There are 2 dams, on the Oswegatichie River, between the St. Law. and Black Lake that prevent the migration of Goby to the lake.
Zebras wre transported to the lake on boats and/or trailers, along with the weeds attached to the same.
The reports I have from some "private biologists" on zebras in the lake is that they feel the zebra population has already "stabilized" in the lake.

Bass aren't the only thing that "chow-down" on Goby in the river. Pike and Walleye are also feeding heavily on them.
Phil

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Fri May 21, 2010 10:09 am

I spent alot of time fishing really deep on the St. Lawrence last summer with the goby imitation baits. The walleyes eat them too. You will also catch the gobies especially on a jigging spoon. I've heard you can really catch alot of them on a night crawler. There are several makers of plastic imitations. 1000 Islands Bait Store has a selection. Log Cabins has an imitation tube bait.

But believe me....we don't want them in Black Lake. Yes the smallmouth got bigger in Lake Erie eating them. And since they have arrived in the Ontario/St. Lawrence system the smallmouth are definetely bigger. But fisherman tend to look short term and biologists look long term. That is why they make such a big deal about invasive species. The long term effects of the gobies could be worse than the zebra mussels. My understanding is they spawn more than once a year and being very aggressive will clean out spawning beds. The bottom of Erie is covered with them and some of the guys out there are concerned.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

FishingLuffys

gobies

Post by FishingLuffys » Fri May 21, 2010 5:20 pm

I would be the first to say , that invasiv species are not good , but they do find a balance , i woud be more worried about the bow-fin, snake heads than gobies or zebra muscles , bow fin do not target other bow fin but gobies eat thier own eggs and i think they find balance also , but in the proccess , kill off more of the native minnow and shad populations than game fish , witch is not good , time will tell 4 sure, ..... 1 week to go i cant wait , I told my buddy that the wives and kids are on vacation, we are fishing and we are looking 4 that 1 dumb fish that mite bite our lines and then we can relax ! good fishing !

Gobychamp315
Newly Registered User

Re: GoBe'S

Post by Gobychamp315 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:45 am

I, too, use the WildEye live goby bait from Storm. Bass Pro Shops carries them as well.

Good source for Goby bait is Tackle Warehouse... I order them online, out of laziness. Anybody try the new Garmin fishfinders - the Striker or the EchoMap?... looking into them. Citimarinestore.com had a blog on them, sound pretty interesting...

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:19 pm

I don't know if its a fact, but I hear over and over again that gobies chow down on baby bass and bass eggs in the nest.

But what I do know is that almost every bass I catch in that river is huge, but I catch very very few young bass. That concerns me.

I also think Cormorants are a big problem on the river. With such clear water, the cormorants can see and catch fish down to 60'. Yes, you read that right, a cormorant can dive to depths of 60' and they eat over a pound of fish per day. Not to mention they are disgusting birds and destroy whatever they decide to roost on.

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:58 am

Last couple of years in September after my business slows, I take advantage of the really calm days on the St. Lawrence to fish very deep out of curiosity. There is a tremendous population of little smallmouth past 50' all the way to possibly 100'. The best depth seems to be around 80'. The deeper you go the smaller they get. And there are lots of them. I call them the river rats. These are fish that are probably 1-3 years old. Why so deep at a young age? My theory is safety in numbers. They school really tight, possibly to avoid predators. I hardly ever see immature smallmouth in the shallows like with largemouth. I fear that some die in the winter but every year they are there. They even look different, almost like they are a sub species. It is also possible that they never come shallow or participate in the spawn. Being adjusted to the pressure and temperature.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:31 pm

I fished lake Erie with a guide once, and he had us rub the gobie jig on the SM bass before we released the fish. Has anyone else heard of this? Does it make a difference?
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:35 pm

GuidedBassTrips wrote:Last couple of years in September after my business slows, I take advantage of the really calm days on the St. Lawrence to fish very deep out of curiosity. There is a tremendous population of little smallmouth past 50' all the way to possibly 100'. The best depth seems to be around 80'. The deeper you go the smaller they get. And there are lots of them. I call them the river rats. These are fish that are probably 1-3 years old. Why so deep at a young age? My theory is safety in numbers. They school really tight, possibly to avoid predators. I hardly ever see immature smallmouth in the shallows like with largemouth. I fear that some die in the winter but every year they are there. They even look different, almost like they are a sub species. It is also possible that they never come shallow or participate in the spawn. Being adjusted to the pressure and temperature.
That's really interesting, and good to hear. I bet you are right about avoiding predators.

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:28 pm

Phil, do you know if the fish ladders they were putting in are finished? You may remember I was concerned about that being an open invitation for the gobies to come to Black Lake.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:00 am

I assume the ladder was completed at Eelwire dam; nothing in Ogdensburg yet. My opinion, it's just a matter of time before they show up in the lake; if they are already not there.
Phil