Sick and tired

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

sickntired

Sick and tired

Post by sickntired » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:03 pm

I have been reading this forum for years and kept my mouth shut over some of the things I read here and throughout the the entire fishing community.
I will mostly be using this forum to address issues that aggravate me now, have aggravated me over the years and new issues that may aggravate me in the future.
Someone has to finally come forward and speak for the occasional fishermen that gets out ten or twelve times a year and is treated like second class citizens by the so-called and self proclaimed professionals. I'm talking about the people who spend most of there free time on the water, the tournament fishermen and everyone else that thinks the occasional fishermen is the person that has to be responsible for the condition of the lake and the sport when it is they that make equally effective impacts both negatively and positively.
My first issue, (and it's a big one) is Catch and Release. I'm sick and tired of the tournament fishermen that frown upon the occasional fishermen and his family that come off the lake with a limit of legal bass for the dinner table, but think nothing of the hundreds of bass that died as a result of the tournaments they fish weekend after weekend. Those same catch and release purist are the first in line at the community fish fry ready to eat what someone else caught.
These people say catch and release is for the good of the sport, the species and the environment. How come their not concerned about those things when their racing to the lake, in their gas hog F-250 with the 20 footer and the 200 hp Evenrude in tow, to fish the next tournament. Most of these guys are not concerned with the preservation of the species. Their concerned with showing up at the weigh in with an empty live well.
If you don't like what I got to say then I'm warning you this is just the beginning of what I'm sick and tired of. More to come.

irishman13

Re: Sick and tired

Post by irishman13 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:16 am

Tell us how your really feel....

I am looking forward to seeing this guy around

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:21 am

Go complain someplace else. We aren't interested in listening to you.

sickntired

Post by sickntired » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:35 am

I know I'm probably going to say things that everyone is not going to want to hear Mr. Simon , but it doesn't mean it doesn't need to be said!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:14 am

I was going to leave this alone, but why not kick the hornets nest a bit?

Tournaments - Yes, mortality rates can sometimes be very high. That is a shame. But anglers, boat manufacturers, and tournament directors recognize this and have put significant money and effort into finding solutions. It IS getting better. And, C&R tournaments are catching on, which is good.

At the same time, tournaments do a LOT of good for the sport of fishing. The elite series tournament on the Larry brought in $3 million in revenue for the local community. Tournaments (and the individual pros) do a lot to promote fishing with young people and to support and encourage conservation and the protection of fish and fisheries. Plus, since there are tournaments at all levels, it's great fun to watch them or participate in them.

Keeping Fish - Yes, it is legal to keep a limit of bass to eat. And no, people shouldn't give you a hard time for doing it. HOWEVER, over-harvest is a serious problem that affects lakes all over, including Black Lake. One of the largest problems is people keeping big fish. Big fish have survived for many years, are generally females, usually carry the best genes, and produce WAY more babies than smaller fish. They also taste worse than smaller fish. If you care at all about the fishery, always release big fish immediately. Keeping them is really just stupid.

Keeping a few medium sized fish for the table is great. I encourage it. But, doing that over and over all summer long is going to impact the fishery. Especially on a lake such as Black Lake that gets a lot of fishing pressure.

Additionally, the rules and regulations on Black Lake actually encourage over-harvest. There really should be a slot limit on most species and creel limits should be a bit lower.

Lastly, your attitude and approach to this sucks. Grow up a bit and learn to communicate like an adult. Instead of ranting like an idiot, why not find a way to get involved and actually make a difference? Local clubs, tournaments, organizations, or even politics are all just sitting there waiting for volunteers to pitch in and help.

I always say you can't complain about something if you aren't willing to work hard to change it.

tr21

Post by tr21 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:48 pm

Good for you MrSimon. You just saved me a lot of typing.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Must be a Pennsylvanian. You having wheel bearing issues on I-81.

fishinmagician

Post by fishinmagician » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:21 pm

Here we go....nothing like a spirited exchange of information from people who have an "Incredible grasp of the obvious"
The second amendment is in place, in case THEY decide to ignore all the others.

chris14race

Post by chris14race » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Holy crap.. What did I miss? Did this thread just come out of nowhere?

fishinmagician

Post by fishinmagician » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:46 pm

It's been rather quiet on the forum for a while. Does anyone remember the guy last year went by the screen name (Big....something or other)? All he did was complain about all of his fishless outings on BL. There was too much wind, too much rain, too much sun, too many clouds, the water was too wet, ground was too dry. All this guy did was complain about things that gave so many of us pleasure. Seams like once I told him how to shut the wind off (I told him where the switch was, it's under the Edwardsville Bridge.) He went away, along with his posts. We can only hope. LOL
There really is a switch to shut the wind off.....
The second amendment is in place, in case THEY decide to ignore all the others.

tr21

Post by tr21 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Fishin Do you think this guys mouth would run as fast as his fingers type if he had to talk to some of us in person.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Re: Sick & Tired

Would like to hear your other complaints concerning the lake. We all know that the lake is over fished. I do agree with what you say about tournaments. They can not convince me that they don't have a effect on the fishery. Fortunately Black lake only has a few local contests. The pro people don't consider our lake for their tournaments like they once did . They now run to Oneida Lake and St Lawrence instead. Other lake problems consist of invasive species - Zebra muscles - Excessive weed growth - Algie blooms and Cormorants. They are all having a bad effect on the fishery. For some unknown reason lots of fishermen come to our lake and don't follow the rules that pertain to Black Lake. Examples - legal size and limit. They do their thing and leave. Some even turn around and complain not realizing it is they who create these conditions. Let's all hope that people become more responsible for our outdoors. Catch & Release!!!!

sickntired

Post by sickntired » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:04 pm

I don't appreciate being reffered to as immature and an idiot simply because you don't agree with my approach. I admit that I am a bit overenthusiastic because my voice is finally being heard and maybe I could have been a bit less harsh.
As for that comment from another forum member, ( must be a Pennsylvanian) if it wasn't for the Pennsylvanian, the New Jerseyites, the Ohioians and everyone else from a 400 mile radius, then the fish camps, groceries, restaurants and everyone else that relies on those tourist dollars might as well call it quits. I hope you pulled over and offered some assistance to that poor guy from Pa. If not, then shame on you.
I don't dislike all tournaments or all tournament fisherman. I just think that most of them are dilusional if they try to convince themselves that what they do is for the sport more than for themselves.
For the most part you won't find a more trustworthy, honest individual then a fisherman. Where and with whom can you leave everything that is valuable to you lying in the bottom of a boat over night and still find it there in the morning. Now, as for considerate fisherman, I'm saving that for another post.
I know I'm rambling a bit but I'm so excited to be able to speak uninterrupted.
If nothing else I hope to bring the dead on this forum back to life.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:45 pm

In regard to the statement that if it wasn't for the Out of Staters practically nothing would exist as it is is false. Black lake was here, with all its pluses, long before you good people started to visit. We welcome all of you for your support of the local establishments and wish you the best. The truth of the matter is that you people unfortunately don't have the quality lakes and streams that we have in New York and then you head up here to enjoy yourselves. Nothing wrong in that but to tear down an area for your misgivings in your own states is redundant. It's up to everyone to respect what is and to do their utmost to make things better. Just complaining accomplishes nothing. Catch & Release !!

sickntired

Post by sickntired » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Sorry if you thought I was speaking negatively of the Black Lake area and all it entails. This is my favorite area in the whole world. At least in the world as I know it. I have been fishing in this lake for 31 years now and know many people in the community. All of whom are wonderful people. I love this area and my life revolves around my next opportunity to fish here.
That being said, nothing and no one is going to stop me from talking about what I'm "sick and tired" of, because some of you fisherman (and the visiting fisherman) need to hear it. If you recognize yourself, then, oh well., I guess we'll have another "spirited exchange of information"