Quickest Access to Rollaway Bay

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

NewFisherman
Newly Registered User

Quickest Access to Rollaway Bay

Post by NewFisherman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Was hoping to try jigging Rollaway Bay tomorrow, January 7th. The only time I have fished Black Lake was ice fishing once two years ago and we fished out in front of Chapman's bait shop and caught one pike. I was hoping for more action so I want to try jigging. Is there a closer access point to Rollaway Bay than the boat launch or the bait shop? I can see on the map that there is a few roads that lead to it but there does not look to be any public access points. Also since I am very new to jigging I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I do not have a fish finder or anything electronic but after reading other strategies I was considering drilling 6 holes and placing my 5 tip ups for perch then jigging for one. If I see one of the tip ups go off I'd go and jig there since it seems these fish travel in schools. Any advice for tackle setups and finding good locations through the ice without a fish finder or underwater camera?

Thanks for the help!

-An inexperienced fisherman

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Quickest Access to Rollaway Bay

Post by Phil » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Here is a Google Map of the lake.
Zoom in on the Rollaway Bay area - there are some notes there.
You can get pretty close, depending on how busy it is. From Edwardsville, Drive out Rt.58, through PopeMills and turn off on the Old Black Lake Rd. Start looking for a parking spot. A short didtance down the Black Lake Rd is the Rollaway Bay Rd (It is a Town Rd and goes right to the edge of the lake (steep hill access). New this year to the area is no parking on that short Rollaway Bay Rd and on the lake side of the Black Lake Rd. (it is clearly posted by the town. The Rollaway Bay Rd is posted because of the local camps there and inconsiderates blocking their driveways. The one side of the Black Lake Rd is posted so plows can get through.
Head out of the bay towards the point on the left. After rounding the point you can set up anywhere, about 50 to 100 yds off shore. Crappies can be suspended, I use spoons tipped with fatheads or spikes. Start at the bottom and work your way up, lots of dink perch and small crappie. If you like jigging you'll want a flassher/finder. Makes a huge difference.
Phil