Poor Fishing

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

JimmyHouston
Newly Registered User

Poor Fishing

Post by JimmyHouston » Sat May 15, 2021 10:25 am

Me and my crew have been coming up to Black Lake for years, and the fishing seems to have fallen off? Hate to be someone that says, it was better back in the old days, but this appears to be true? The small pike that we used to complain about, oh just another 20 incher, are no longer being caught like years ago, and they are missed.

It just seems like the fishing has really slowed down in May at Black Lake, we’ve been noticing this for about the past 5-6 years.

Any thoughts, ideas why? Are the Amish pulling these fish out and eating them?

And yes, this is the Real Jimmy Houston

.whiplash
Newly Registered User

Re: Poor Fishing

Post by .whiplash » Tue May 17, 2022 2:36 pm

been going there 14yrs . stopped 3 yrs ago. really seems to have dropped off. What I notced 3 yrs ago was the significant clearing of the water colume. Apon asking some locals and a new york dcnr warden, I came away putting blame on the zebra mussel increaseing significantly in Black Lake. May be wrong but that seems to be the way things go for a few yrs when they reach a certain level.IE great lakes and oneida. these lakes dropped off for several yrs when the mussels became very abundent. As do most things in nature ,these fisheries came back after the native fish dealt with the very clear water.

good fishing, and the lake is fun being on for all the wildlfe one sees even if the fishing may be a little off for some of us.