September Walleye, Pike and Musky

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

str8shooter63
Newly Registered User

September Walleye, Pike and Musky

Post by str8shooter63 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:26 pm

New to Black Lake
Will be staying at Pleasant View Saturday Aug 31st to Friday Sept 6th
I'm only interested in Walleye, Pike and Musky (in that order lol)
Anyone that can give me some tips for this time of year would be great!
Thanks in advance

MrSimon

Re: September Walleye, Pike and Musky

Post by MrSimon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:26 am

I don't mean this in a snarky way at all, but you would be FAR better off driving 10 minutes and fishing the St. Lawrence out of Morristown or Chippewa Bay.

Black Lake is first and foremost a bass lake. Crappie and panfish are great too. There are walleye, and some tanks, but it can be real slim pickn's. They tend to bunch up in neck downs with current and the locals slaughter them and put them in the freezer. There are a decent amount of pike, but the size isn't there. 14-22" is about what you'll get 98% of the time. A few muskie roam the lake, but frankly I don't consider it a fishable population. It takes a Biblical effort to catch one, but it's possible.

The river on the other hand is literally world class for these three species. World! Class!

Granted, the river is gigantic and hard to fish if you aren't good on big water. The lake will be calmer and more peaceful. I'd start on the lake since you are there, but if you don't do well in the first day or two, move.

str8shooter63
Newly Registered User

Re: September Walleye, Pike and Musky

Post by str8shooter63 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:59 pm

I get it. If I had the choice I'd be in Northern Canada lol
Staying with friends and just wanted to get a feel for the lake that's all