Mid-Week Report 8/14/2018

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

fishnick

Mid-Week Report 8/14/2018

Post by fishnick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:51 pm

We are back for another August trip to Black Lake and fishing has been tough although the Large Mouth and Pike are running large when caught. Three of the Northerns ran 25 to 27 inches and 2 LM were 17 1/2 inches. Also added a 21 inch walleye for good measure. Using our usual crank baits, spinner baits, rubber worms and rattle traps, with the crank baits outperforming everything else by a wide margin. I may have to change my handle from fishnick to netnick since I'm doing way more netting than catching but what great netting! Everything has been released to get off another day. Good luck and great fishing.

frankt

Re: Mid-Week Report 8/14/2018

Post by frankt » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:20 pm

hi , do you put steel leaders on in case pike hit or heavy line. i am wondering if bass still hit lures with leaders. we usually just try to target bass. i always wondered how you could target everything with or without a leader. if you could give some advice it would be appreciated, thanks

fishnick

Post by fishnick » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:54 pm

We typically don't use steel leaders with our lures and very rarely lose a fish to a cut line. We often get bass, pike and walleye on the same lures without leaders. That includes pike up to 30" and walleye up to 24".

frankt

Post by frankt » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:08 pm

thanks for the info. have you ever fished last week of aug into first week of sept. i know the lake can be dark green for a while. i read on hear to use crankbaits rubber worms , spinnerbaits , rattletraps, but i think all these baits work all summer. any suggestions would be appreciated again. thanks