Fishing Report 8/12/17 - 8/18/17

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

fishnick

Fishing Report 8/12/17 - 8/18/17

Post by fishnick » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:32 am

We came back for our 10th year at Black Lake and had a great time although the fishing was the toughest in those 10 years. Water levels were as high as we had ever seen especially for August. Not a fast consistent bite all week. Tried all our usual haunts and caught some fish but rate of catch and bites was about half of our worst weeks prior to this one. We managed only two nice LM, with one weighing in at 3lbs. We also had a 25" Pike, 20" Catfish and 18" Walleye. We lost 3 good fish right at the boat, but our biggest disappointment was catching a tagged contest fish that didn't count! Yes we have entered the Panfish contest our last two years at Black Lake and taken some time out from throwing lures and rubber worms so we could try our luck. After taking a break from casting fishing a bay across the lake from our Butternut Cove cottage, the very first Bluegill I caught has a tag. We place the fish in a cooler of water and race across the lake. Then we run to the car and race to Chapman's to find out it was a 2016 tagged fish $#@! CHARLIE BROWN. From excitement to lunch bag letdown. To top it off I proceeded to loose my biggest fish of the trip that night at the side of the boat. Lucy pulled that football away one more time. So I have returned home to Tonawanda with more fish stories about the ones that got away, fish and dollars! Back next year? Maybe.

fishnick

Re: Fishing Report 8/12/17 - 8/18/17

Post by fishnick » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Some additional info for those struggling to find fish. We found the 10 foot depth near the outside edge of the weeds to be the most productive area all week. We did catch a few bass up close to shore using wacky worm technique with popular lake colors cinnamon and also black and purple fleck. Deep fish were caught with bombers and rattle traps and an occasional bass on a wacky worm also. Hope this info helps. Throw them back to grow bigger. We did.