Wishin Fishin - Fishing Report 5/19- 5/24

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

wishin fishin

Wishin Fishin - Fishing Report 5/19- 5/24

Post by wishin fishin » Mon May 15, 2017 7:59 am

Begin Fri. Night

wishin fishin

Re: Wishin Fishin - Fishing Report 5/19- 5/24

Post by wishin fishin » Sat May 20, 2017 5:23 am

Fri. 5/19

Made the drive up but, had to stop off in Watertown get my alternator changed- picked the right exit luckily with a good year tire- could have been worse, 6:30 am - took us in at 8:00 am, out at by 10am, anyway we made it. Spoke with my buddy at the bait shop who said yesterday (thurs.) the hot day, - the lake had 4-ft. waves, no one out, he also mentioned that this week was the first time in May that the weather began getting warmer for more than 2-days. We were on the lk by 1:00 pm fished the Tavern Is. area for crappie then moved to the bridge at booths island. nothing - we fished quick, very windy on the north end. Surprised they were not hitting minnows but hitting jigs. (I felt like Wally Marshal) but we had to work for the bite the jigged fish were 11-12" 7-in total. fished till late afternoon. our first day is always light as we have to make up for sleep lost traveling but from then on its a full court press till the end. ill update later if I can.

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Sat May 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Sat. 5/20

Sunny - very cold in the morning. The lake had a chop with winds coming from the North West. We stayed on the South end again, in the Tavern Is. area. Between 4-people we caught 15 crappie. The bite is beginning but slow, jigs tipped with a minnow seem to be doing the trick. I also caught a 22-inch northern.

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Mon May 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Sun/Mon 5/21 &5/22

We've been catching crappie at different locations - tavern is., big bay, lower deep bay,
if your a crappie fisherman here's the skinny - they are in per spawn (full of eggs) moving in and out wanting to get on beds but the weather won't stay stable to begin the process. Yesterday (sun.) the weather was warm 62 light wind. last night it was like a summers night, the water was like glass and they were biting. This morn, (mon.) winds at 10-mph, lake had a chop and it was cold (wind chill) 40-ish so the weather is crazy. So the fish are chasing jigs. We have had some success with bobber and minnow just this morning (mon.) Sunday the bites were on jigs. So we had to work for them. The great thing about jigging - the fish are large more consistently. The spring crappie cycle is about 2-weeks late and should go into June, probably being the peak if the weathers stays stable.

...fish on!!

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 am

Tues. 5/23

Hi Winds from the northwest the minnow bite set-up today. I was able to limit out morning afternoon and evening. This morning the lake was like glass but we were packing.

Summary:

Weather is finally stabilizing (FINALLY) the crappie bite is setting up and should continue well into the first 2-weeks of June.

That my Blk. Lk. 2017 -We out!!!!

...Fish-On!!!