Fishing With the Kids - June 11-18

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

MrSimon

Fishing With the Kids - June 11-18

Post by MrSimon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:55 am

I spent the week at the lake with my family and had a fantastic time!

The first few days of the week were cloudy and a bit cool, but after that it was all sunshine, white clouds, and low wind. Absolutely perfect.

As for fishing, you have to remember I had three kids in the boat, including a 2 year old. So the majority of the week was spent cutting up worms, un-twisting fishing line, tying on jigs, and getting poked in the fingers by the spines of a million panfish.

By the end of the week my older two were almost completely self sufficient, and even helping the little one. It takes time, patience, and understanding to fish with kids, but I'm hoping it pays off and I'll have built in fishing buddies for the rest of my life.

Anyway, we caught boat loads of crappie, perch, sunnies, and bluegill. And I mean BOAT LOADS. All we did was sit in 6' of water at the edge of a weedline and drop down tiny jigs. Most times it was a fish every cast for hours on hours. We caught a good number of bigger fish too .... a number of perch over 12", plenty of keeper size crappie, and some really nice healthy bass (sorry, no pics). The crappie wouldn't bite until the sun went behind the trees in the evening, then it was game on. Everything was released.

We also spent an afternoon canoeing on the Grasse River. That was an awesome experience! I put a little 2.3HP Honda four stroke on the back of our Coleman Scanoe and launched at a little public area along the river. We cruised upriver for a while just enjoying the weather, solitude, and beautiful scenery. We stopped a few neat areas along the way so the kids could swim. I fished a little and caught a really nice smallie. We'll definitely go back there, as well as explore other areas of that river.

We pulled the pontoon boat one day and launched it on the St. Lawrence to go visit Singer Castle. Unfortunately the castle was closed that day, so we took a nice laid back ride around the river checking out all the neat houses built on the islands. The kids were blown away with the clear water. They kept thinking we were going to hit bottom, even though it was 12' deep.

We ate at Mack's, the Fishbone, Bedrock Cafe, and spent plenty of money on snacks at Echoes. It was a great week with the family enjoying an awesome area.

Yev14

Re: Fishing With the Kids - June 11-18

Post by Yev14 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Awesome...great post 8)

tr21

Post by tr21 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:10 am

That is what fishing is about. Having fun with the little ones no mater what they do.

MrBluegill

Post by MrBluegill » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:07 pm

Loved the story & pics. You are a great Dad!!

JerryofWNY

Post by JerryofWNY » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:02 am

I love reading these kind of reports. Your kids are fortunate. I know so many young parents who leave their kids with grandparents so that they can take golfing vacations or the like. Your good parenting will pay big dividends in both your kid's lives and yours.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be"... Abe Lincoln

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks.

I love my kids .... and I love fishing ...... seemed like a no-brainer to put the two together.

I love my wife too, but she just has no interest in fishing. That's OK though, she still loves a quiet week at the lake!