Fishing report 5-7 to 5-12

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Bob-O

Fishing report 5-7 to 5-12

Post by Bob-O » Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 am

I wanted to start this thread while at home on my computer. I will be posting water conditions and how we do for the days listed by phone, so they will be short. Please keep this thread on topic so folks reading can get the information they need without off topic subject matter. Their will be three people in the boat so the numbers posted will reflect that number. Can't wait to get the boat in the water and switch into Black lake mode where time starts to become meaningless. To all the other folks going up for the opener, good luck and be safe.
Bob
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

Bob-O

Re: Fishing report 5-7 to 5-12

Post by Bob-O » Fri May 06, 2016 8:47 pm

We arrived today and got the boat in the water. First I want to comment on the new ramp. They did a fantastic job. A huge improvement from the old. They have the center dock in now and the water is very low but was able to launch in record time. It is much longer so you can easily float your boat off the trailer and tie up while warming the engine. For conditions the wind was strong from the north east and the water was choppy. The water temp is 56 in the channel and 58 in the bay. We did go out for crappie a few hours and caught two and one nice perch. It's over cast with sprinkles and the wind did die down around 7pm. Tomorrow is the big day and hope to have a good report. Good luck.
Bob
Practice Conservation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sat May 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Opening day is here! Beautiful weather, light wind from the south. Water temp this morning was 58 or so. Water is clear to light stain. We caught six Pike, lost two at the boat. We caught three crappie, six perch. The biggest Pike was 29" and 5 pounds. In the evening the water temp in the bays warmed up to 62. The crappie are scattered, not all in one place. The few we caught were on jigs in 4 FOW. The camp we stay at has a few crappie fisherman and they are doing better but say the same thing about being scattered. It's been warm here 68 or so. The water should warm up more in the coming days.
Good luck

Bob.
Practice Conservation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sun May 08, 2016 9:48 pm

Sunday, mothers day. It was quite cold 38-40 in the morning. Water was about 58 in most places. Wind was strong from the West in the morning. We caught 9 pike, largest was 22. We caught 6 nice perch and 20 or so crappie with only 6 keepers. We have always been told fish creek is the place for crappie, for us not. We trolled in from the last dock going up toward the bridge and not one. Water was warmer 64 or so but we went all the way to the bridge covering all the shoreline left and right with out a single crappie. We found most in 4-5 FOW around rock walls and Jiggs working very slowly. Alot of small ones nothing over 12. Our best Pike spot has been big bay. Weather is supposed to be better so maybe I will have a better report tomorrow. Folks keep in mind fishing for bass preseason is illegal, we saw a few people fishing nesting grounds and taking pictures. If we catch bass we move to another spot ASAP.
Good luck
Bob
Practice Conservation

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Mon May 09, 2016 9:57 am

hey bob-o

there on fri. 5/13 overcast for the entire weekend winds 5-10mph chance of rain. I will stay posted on your reports. I've been in this condition before no sun, overcast water on the cool side.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mon May 09, 2016 9:39 pm

Day 3. It was cold, low 30s and wind was strong from the south. It felt cold during the day due to the wind. Fishing was hard and the wind dictated where we could fish. We caught 3 Pike largest was 20. We caught 12 or so crappie with only 4 keepers. The crappie are small from normal this time of year. We went up the Indian river to the Cliff's and found nothing. We fished like crazy and came up short. Wish I had a better report but that's how we did. In case you were wondering how I keep track, I keep a written log in the boat due to we have a trophy for the best Pike of the year. We write in the year name and size and you keep it until the following season. I hope to have a better report tomorrow, but only the fish can help that. good luck!
Bob
Practice Conservation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mon May 09, 2016 10:10 pm

I forgot to mention the water temp is 58 most every where we went. The crappie still have eggs so they have not yet spawned. We have not yet went north of the bridge but hope to when weather permits.
Bob
Practice Conservation

bluschen

Post by bluschen » Mon May 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Bob,thanks for the updates and I hope the weather cooperates...we will be up Sunday for a week and I sure like the fact that you are keeping us all updated with your blog... Truthfully I appreciate your updates because they are helping me get thru this week... The anticipation is killing me.
Brian

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Tue May 10, 2016 9:32 pm

Day 4. Cold again in the morning but warmed up nicely. Wind was from South West and moderate. The water is warming, we found 62 in some bays but 58 to 59 in the main channel. Bright sun with few clouds. We did go North of the bridge and had no change of luck fishing. We hit upper big bay and Mitchell bay with only one Pike. We tried for crappie with no luck. Headed back to our normal bays and caught 7 pike, 20 being the biggest. The crappie may have started to spawn, being told they don't all spawn at the same time. My neighbor, a 40 year vet caught 100 crappie and only 29 keepers. Strange year but it's Black lake, always has a new challenge. Now that we hit all the rivers and up North we will concentrate on our favorite bays. What's strange is lonesome bay had produced no fish, no hits or follow ups!
Good luck.
Bob
Practice Conservation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Wed May 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Day 5. Great weather, loons calling, geese with babies and turtles sunning themselves. Light wind from the north. Water is warming saw temps in the 61 range. We fished like crazy and only caught two Pike. We finish the last 30 minutes at pin island and caught perch, 6 keeper crappie and some big sunnies. Devil's graveyard was stacked up with boats. Crappie are coming in to the rock piles. Tomorrow is our last day and hope the Pike turn on. I have to say that being on the lake bad fishing and all is still a treat that words can't describe.
Good luck.
Bob
Practice Conservation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Thu May 12, 2016 9:50 pm

Day 6. This is the last day of our trip. Weather was great, a little warm with temps upper 70s. Wind was very little to none from the north. We caught 9 Pike and the largest was 19. I like Mr Simon's theory about the spawn. I have to read a bit to understand this year. The Pike bite was slow and never caught so many that were under 18. I get the trophy thiis year with a 29" Pike. However the bulkhead guys had a slow bite too. I would like to know how the bulkhead marathon made out this year but they don't post. We did not fish for crappie today but I could see the Rocky points were busy. We only fish for them to get a break from stranding and casting. We did see temps of water in the 68 range in the bays. Overall a great trip at the lake with all the people and great views. I will close this thread when I get home.
Good luck!
Bob
Practice Conservation

cheftommy70

Post by cheftommy70 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:43 pm

In hind. Sight,would you say...shallower or deeper... Or probably just post spawn funk...

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Sat May 14, 2016 6:26 am

We got here Fri. morn it was over cast and windy we got out but its was like being on lake erie white caps and 2" rollers. I can't remember it being so rough. We fishing the north end where the wind was cut off somewhat by the bridge. We caught probably over 100 crappie but many were small. overall we were able to keep 25 a piece.

Todays weather looks clamer. we'll see.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sat May 14, 2016 4:47 pm

sorry for the delay. I would have to say we had the best luck in 5-6 FOW where you can see weed tips. For big bay that would be out as far as the house with screen porch on the west bank and 200 yards or so from that shore line out. we throw light weight spoons so they can be ran one to two foot deep without having to burn them through the weeds. We named this year the "year of the perch" due to the amount of large nice perch we caught on the same spoons as we use for pike. We also would stop our drift if we saw a lot of perch follow ups, drop anchor and throw our crappie lines in and picked up a few that way. I would say this was a tough year for pike but not thinking the lake is "fished out' or "stressed". Last year we saw folks from our camp leave early due to they were "miffed" we the bite. The following day in the evening we caught at least a dozen, some were in the 30" range. So I would need a quite a few seasons before I would say that the pike are stressed. When you go to Black Lake for a fishing trip, it is not so much that you hammer the species your looking for but that you take time out of your busy life and see the area and listen to the sounds (turn off your radios). I have been going there for over sixteen years and I am still in camp the newbie. People don't go to a lake for over forty years without knowing something people like me "don't know" so I listen and learn every single year. So I am starting my count down for next season and will be a year smarter.
Good luck...Bob O out!
Practice Conservation