Fishing Report 6/29-7/4/15

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

danielsardina

Fishing Report 6/29-7/4/15

Post by danielsardina » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:32 pm

My old buddy Henry and I fished Black Lake for one week from 6/29-7/4. We went out about 4 hours each morning, took a nice break, and went back out about 4 hours each evening. We fished the west side of the lake from close to the bridge to the narrow section of the lake toward Indian River. We decided to begin where we left off each previous trip so we could experience new scenery each outing. This was easy to do as we never found a "hot" spot. The fishing was steady most of the week. We caught fish near most points and on grass edges. Our patterns varied depending on current conditions, when the wind was high or it rained, we caught fish on spinnerbaits, when the sun was out with little wind, dropshots and texas rigs worked best, when we had partly cloudy conditions with a breeze, flukes and hard jerkbaits produced. Overall, the fish catching was slow for Black Lake, but the cool weather most of the week made it a great trip. We managed to catch 182 fish in 59.5 hours of fishing (119 man hours between the 2 of us). 105 were largemouth, 23 smallmouth, 18 Northern Pike, 1 Bowfin, 2 Bullheads (on artificial), and 33 panfish. The largest Northern Pike was 32" and fairly thick, maybe 10 pounds, the largest bass was a 21" fat 6 pound largemouth. The biggest smallmouth we caught was only 17". We released each fish unharmed to reproduce and be caught again. Several of the bass I landed had recently been caught and released, with noticeable hole in the mouth.
Overall the trip was incredible. Accomadations were great at the Happy Fisherman, we had tremendous food to grill each day and the temperature never went over 80. I'm back in Central Florida now, where the temperature never dips below 80 at night and is in the 90's each and every summer day.

MrSimon

Re: Fishing Report 6/29-7/4/15

Post by MrSimon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Awesome report! Sounds like dig great and had a lot of fun.

Were the smallies in the grass? Or did you go out deeper and find some rocks?

danielsardina

Re: Fishing Report 6/29-7/4/15

Post by danielsardina » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:49 pm

The smallmouth were definitely a little deeper, near points. There was some sparse vegetation near the points.