How is the fishing?

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Jeff
Newly Registered User

How is the fishing?

Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:57 pm

My son and I are coming up Saturday to fish for a week! A great high school graduation present I think ..... It's our first trip to Black Lake and we're so excited!! .... Any advice for us? We're going to try to catch some of everything, especially pike. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... And don't worry .... We practice catch and release ..... Except possibly two nice crappie .... Hah!!

erik

Re: How is the fishing?

Post by erik » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:44 pm

PM me I got a hot spot for you!

cheftommy70

Post by cheftommy70 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:03 am

Screw that! Pm me...this is a fishing forum! You want a place to go catch pike... Lonesome bay, way back in the weeds, spinnerbaits over the tops,chartruese and white. ..we'll be up Sunday and will share all of our hot spots....

Jeff
Newly Registered User

Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:09 am

Erik, I can't PM because I'm a new user but thanks for the offer. Cheftommy ...... Hopefully I'll be seeing you Sunday way back in Lonesome Bay ..... My son and I will be the two soaking wet knuckleheads in the War Eagle!! Thanks so much for the tip .....

cheftommy70

Post by cheftommy70 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:25 am

Have fun fishing with the kid! I will look for you guys when we get there...also if we find any other hot spots I'll be sure to let you know

fishnick

Post by fishnick » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:34 am

We have been coming up to Black Lake for 10 years now and the best advice we ever received was to fish the areas with the greenest weed growth in and around the hot spot areas on the available maps. It works from late June through early September from our experience. Crank baits work great in areas where the weeds aren't too thick. Top water is great fun when conditions permit and fish cooperate. Rubber worms work great for both large and small mouth in weeds and along rocky shorelines and shoals. Spinner baits are excellent for pike and take bass as well. We have taken some real nice catfish fishing crank baits for bass along weedlines and have run into an occasional muskie when fishing in areas when you'd expect to find them. Good luck and have fun. The lake has a good selection of fish and numerous spots and methods to catch them. We practice catch and release for all bass, pike, bowfin, catfish etc. We will keep a occasional crappie or walleye, but most of them get released too. The muskie have released themselves so far!

mopsny

Post by mopsny » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:40 pm

Jeff , I have been coming to black lake for over 46 years and I always have my best luck in big bay , next to lonesome bay , we have the best luck in the morning and after supper , we use minnows and fish on the edge of the heavy weeds , maybe something else you could try , good luck and good fishing ......

Buzzvandam
Newly Registered User

Post by Buzzvandam » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:46 pm

Look forward to my first trip. Coming up 7/18. Any luck throwing frogs and swimbaits? What's the mix of bass more smallmouth or large mouth? My dad is telling me the lake levels are down any problems running the lake? I'm coming with my son 15. We can't wait.

Tori

Post by Tori » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:35 am

Lake levels are WAY up. Flooding of docks right now.
Tori

chris14race

Post by chris14race » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:37 pm

Water levels are up jack. And more bucketmouths than smallies.... Atleast always is that way for us