June 10th report

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Scott C.

June 10th report

Post by Scott C. » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:31 am

Made it up to Black Lake yesterday. As I mentioned in another post I have only fished this water once several years ago so I don't know water level norms, but I would say the water was on the high side. Saw some docks under water and the state launch dock was partially under water. Had to jump on it from shore to keep feet dry. By the end of the day it was coming up over the front due to wind and waves. Maybe this is the norm??
Fished primarily bays on the east side of the lake opposite the state launch, working our way south. targeting northers, using red and white spoons, mepps, etc.. shiny metal.
Between the two of us we boated 31 pike and bass, fishing from about 8 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Biggest bass was about 4 lbs. Biggest pike I'd say was 23 or 24 inches.
One question regarding the pike - two of the pike I caught had nasty, fresh lacerations on their sides. Almost like someone cut them with a knife. Didn't look anything like lamprey wounds (don't even know if lampreys are in Black Lake). Just curious as to what caused these wounds. Maybe bigger pike?
Wind was out of the southeast I believe, kind of rough, and started to rain by mid afternoon.

MrSimon

Re: June 10th report

Post by MrSimon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:29 am

Sounds like you did great!

Those wounds could definitely be from bigger pike, or maybe injuries from spawning. Pike like it rough :D

fishinmagician

Post by fishinmagician » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:09 am

Scott, sounds like you had a good day for only having one day to fish. It's good to hear the water level is up. There have been times when the state ramp was so shallow putting the motor down made you cringe. Glad you had fun.
The second amendment is in place, in case THEY decide to ignore all the others.

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:49 pm

The water level has been low all spring and is now getting back up to average. The launch dock is suppose to be adjusted with the water level but whoever is in charge of that doesn't seem to ever keep up.

I have never seen evidence of Lampreys but someone did post about them being in Black Lake. I always pictured them as being in deep cold water but perhaps not. There is a small population of Muskie in the lake which could also be responsible.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:36 pm

I have caught many pike, through the ice, with lampray scares. Generally a round wound-lookling mark the size of a nickle, or so. Others with laceration wounds, likely from a fight or meeting with a boat prop.
Phil

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:02 pm

We certainly had a fun day. I learned a lot on the lake. Scenery is awesome. Reminds me of Lake of the Isles which I know well. Pike size seems to be larger on average on Black Lake though. One side note - as I was motoring at one point about 50 yards in front of me a very large fish came straight up out of the water. It happened so quick I couldn't tell what it was but it was easily 20 to 30 pounds. I'm guessing it was a carp. Cool to see.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:03 am

Carp

Eman

Post by Eman » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:30 pm

While fishing in May for pan fish below the falls at Rosie we caught 4 small Pike. As we got them to the boat you could see that each one had one or two 6 to 7 inch Lampreys attached. The Lampreys detached and swam away as the fish fought. One was still attached and when I removed the hook I removed the Lamprey. Since they are invasive, I killed it. The way they swim, I would think that fish would love them. (No one should use them for bait!) but does anyone know if fish eat them?