315Anglers /Team Eighmey Trip Summary

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

315Anglers4Life

315Anglers /Team Eighmey Trip Summary

Post by 315Anglers4Life » Sun May 17, 2015 7:21 pm

First off I apologize that we were unable to post live updates during the trip we made it a no technology trip, off the grid for the week, no laptops or nothing to post from. I will do my best to cover all our action in the post; it won’t be day by day but a general summary of the week.

The lake is pretty low , a lot of the shoals you can normally only see a small portion of where monstrous but it didn’t affect the fishing much the first day we got on the water and headed out on a crappie hunt, it was hot out mid to high 80's we hit some usual spots and we ran into them pretty good, boated 76 keepers that day mind you 4 guys fishing probably caught over a 100 but anything even close to 9 was tossed back, it was hot and buggy but the crappies where hitting our usual rigs, Bobber and Nail tail tipped with minnow. The crappies where hanging out on rocky structured shorelines and shoals. Some real tight to shallows others slightly deeper maybe 6-8 foot of water we were worried that since it had been so warm we missed the spawn but a number of fish we cleaned still had eggs in em , so if you up there now or going to be in the near future you should be ok.. Our next outing brought us to the River, we were unaware of the walleye spawn early in the month there, we had only fished it one or 2 times before and caught a few bass. The walleye run was over weeks ago but there were still some lingering around, mostly small guys, we boated 30 in a couple hours out of the 30 only 6 where keepers biggest being 22" I believe, spoke to a few guys who hit it at beginning of spawn said it was a mad house but they were plucking 9-11lbs slobs outta there, we will definite be visiting that spot again. Another fish we encountered in Black Lake that we don’t often was some real nice catfish, they were hitting our pike rigs, big bobber steal leader and treble hook tipped with biggest pike minnow you could find. We boated 2 nice cats biggest was 30" the other was 27" both real nice dark healthy fish, both where caught off of shoals just outside the buoy line 6-8 foot of water. Another fish we encountered on the regular was bowfin, you can pull up in any bay throw out a pike rig and there’s a good chance you'll catch one, mostly all of the bowfin we caught where good size 25+”, we boated some nice healthy small and large mouths as we always do up there, and as always we were not fishing for them, but they didn’t care much they were hungry and the fights where fun. A cold front pushed through mid-week dropped temps from the 80s down to 50’s, made the some of the nights real cold, it also shut down the crappie bite in a few of our spots, by end of week it warmed up and crappie turned back on the old guys where boating about 40 keepers an outing, but they said action was hot and heavy just a lot of throw backs. There was also a Sturgeon spotting down by the bridge that crosses Black Lake, I’m starting to think that our previous encounters at that bridge years ago may have been with them. When we left it was nice and warm , the crappies where hitting up close to shorelines on shear rock faces, the walleye were also on the move , we only caught 1 maybe 2 out of Black Lake but their where guys who did a lot better . Well off the top of my head that about sums up the trip, when one spot died out or didn’t produce we moved to others and targeted different species and found pretty decent action with a variety of fish. All in all it was a fun week, it got pretty windy a few days as it has in the past, days where you can’t even get out on the lake to fish but this year we had a 20 foot pontoon and it was a tank so we were able to access the lake on days when we normally would not be able to on regular size boat. Any questions or tips needed feel free to message us

Good Luck Everyone & Tight Lines

Tori

Re: 315Anglers /Team Eighmey Trip Summary

Post by Tori » Sun May 17, 2015 9:30 pm

Did you travel by pontoon boat to the north end of Black Lake where the lake meets the Oswagatchie River? Did you catch the walleyes at the intersection of the two bodies of water or did you travel upstream on the Oswagotchie to catch them??
Thanks, Tori

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mon May 18, 2015 9:48 am

I believe they meant Indian river not Oswegatchie River. I may be wrong but the walleye spawn up the Indian river in Rossie at the falls.
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

HORTON

Post by HORTON » Tue May 19, 2015 8:18 am

Good report, we will be there on the 23rd. Glad to hear that there is a chance the crappie bite may still be alive. From all the reports that I have been reading it seems that most of the crappies have been caught near or on rocks. We stay south of the bridge (I guess it's south, we are across from Mitchell bay) and we have targeted the weedy bays around Upper Big Bay and I must say over the past few years we have had limited success.

After reading your report and Bob O's report it appears the better fishing would be north of the bridge. We have fished Black Lake for years and have yet to catch a Walleye on this Lake but I can't honestly say that we have not put forth the effort to target them. This year I would like to get one and once again it seems my best chance to do this is north of the bridge.

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Tue May 19, 2015 9:10 am

I think you have your North and South mixed up.

Mitchel Bay is just North of the bridge and Upper Big Bay is even further North of that.

HORTON

Post by HORTON » Tue May 19, 2015 9:35 am

Thank you for correcting me, I'm from Long Island......everything is north to me....LOL.

I now know................indian river is south.

Thank you