Report 7/5 to 7/11

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

fishbone

Report 7/5 to 7/11

Post by fishbone » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:23 am

This was my last trip to this lake.
What horrible conditions. The lake was a mess.
High winds mixed in with very high winds that had the water churned into pea soup.
This went on for days, followed by post front blue bird skies that had the bite shut down tighter than during the winds.
A wasted week.
Out of 4 years of coming here, only one time resulted in a decent trip; not great, just decent.
I had enough.
Stratos VLO 186

fishinmagician

Re: Report 7/5 to 7/11

Post by fishinmagician » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Maybe your timing is just bad, or maybe your ability to control the weather is not as good as all the other people who fish BL. In case you didn't know....the weather control panel is mounted on the Edwardsville bridge, push the off button and the wind will stop. Please do not blame the lake for the weather.
The second amendment is in place, in case THEY decide to ignore all the others.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:36 pm

The weather is the beauty of it. We may have a lot of wind and rain from time to time but the good days are true memories. If one could tell the weather a month ahead everyone could plan their vacation time a lot easier. Be gratefull there are places like Black Lake. Just ask those people who come from Pennsylvania and New Jersey who travel all the way up to our lake for some real good fishing. A true sportsman takes the bad with the good. Catch & Release!!

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:13 pm

I do travel up from Pa.
And as for timing, when there are more bad days than good, it becomes difficult to score a productive trip. With only one fair trip out of 4, I can do better in Pa at over fished lakes with smaller fish population.
"Should have been here last month" gets old fast.
Stratos VLO 186

erik

Post by erik » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 pm

More fish for me, thanks for coming your always welcome back!

mojo

Post by mojo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:18 pm

I've had some great years at BL. A couple skunker years as well but learned to try something completely different for a change up. This usually produced excellent catches. For instance, Never caught walleye trolling at night in the spring but killed them from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in bright sun - go figure. Best crappie catches trolling with small crank baits, huge cats trolling rapalas on the bottom and northerns on 2" grubs when nothing else would work. Fishing is more than just catching - experiment! You'll get more out of life.

cw14

Post by cw14 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:30 pm

We were up a couple weeks ago. Fishing was slow during the sunny hot days but still managed a few. But the bite turned on every nite around 6pm and we killed it every night. Was best trip yet fish wise. Lotta big ones. And the other great thing was the bugs were nothing like usual for that time of year. We usually fight them constantly at night when were at camp but not this year. Can't wait to get back up. Prly in September

jigginmike

Post by jigginmike » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:33 am

We used to come up for ten days at time during our September trips knowing full well we would probably spend four days at camp or in the Burg because of the wind and weather. Never stopped us from going back and never will, and our crew lives near the Pa line with a couple living in Pa., because as they say - 'worst day fishing beats the best day working'.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:40 am

Overall - one should look at a trip to Black lake as a time of relaxation and enjoying the great outdoors. Black Lake is because of the way it is. Some people seem to think that they should always have good fishing all the time. If this was the case then after a short period of time there would be no fish left to catch. Mother nature seems to modify that thought and therby in a sense protects the lake and its fine fishery. Be gratefull for the opportunity to experience what Black Lake and the surrounding area has to offer. Catch & Release!

doug1940

Post by doug1940 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:07 pm

I usually go fishing, not catching. There have more so so days than good ones. I just came back from a 4 day trip in a bay off Lake Ontario, I caught zero fish, but had a great time. Lots of card playing, great food and fellowship with 5 buddy's. I love Black Lake, and usually go there twice a year. I have a trip in Oct, Columbus day weekend. It reminds a lot of Canadian lakes and not a long drive. Enjoy what God has given us in the beauty of the great outdoors.

Tight lines and be safe,
Doug

tr21

Post by tr21 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:57 am

As we all know mother nature rules. She wants the weather bad that is the way it is. She also controls weather the fish bite or not. I bet the weather in PA is not blue bird and fish bite 100% of the time. You should not blame Black Lake. That is the way it is. MOTHER NATURE RULES.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:36 am

I have to admit, the wind and weather you had during your trip was uncommonly bad. We all know Black Lake can get windy, but your week was definitely worse than normal. Its just bad luck.

I'm from southern PA and we've been coming up for 10 years or more. It seems like a third of the time the weather/fishing is great, a third of the time it is so-so, and a third of the time it flat out sucks.

Those bad years really are a bummer, no way around it. The so-so years are still very fun. Its those great years that keep me coming back .... because when the lake is on, its the best fishing you can find just about anywhere.