Glad the water is dropping

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GuidedBassTrips

Glad the water is dropping

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:56 am

This is for sure a different season from the last two years. I just put my dock in Wednesday which is the latest I can remember. I've been fishing on Black Lake just a few times so far and have been fishing the St. Lawrence alot more. All but one of my guided trips have been on the St. Lawrence to this point As a guide I prefer low water and post spawn conditions because it pulls the bass to offshore locations and groups them up. What success I have had to this point on Black Lake were scattered largemouth right on the bank which can be expected with high water and a late spawn. The quality was good but it seemed I had to cover water to catch more. I tell my customers all the time that if I were to hire a guide myself, I'd be dissapointed if he had me throwing to the shoreline catching scattered fish. Most fisherman can do that on their own. Right now I am taking advantage of the shallow smallmouth on the St. Lawrence before they go deep.

I believe Black Lake will be at its best in a couple of weeks which is a change from the past couple of years. They should start grouping more off weedlines, points, and shoals and compete with one another for food. Those of you fishing for bass now should be able to keep catching them shallow and also produce some bigger ones than in the past.

Good luck to everyone fishing the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

dumprdog
Newly Registered User

Re: Glad the water is dropping

Post by dumprdog » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 am

thanks for the update. i am leaving tomorrow for the lake & will be looking to find a few. i'll take your advice & start shallow along the weedlines & shoals. i am also looking forward to fishing the st lawrence with you on july 3rd. hopefully the smallmouth will still be cooperative. randy lease

GuidedBassTrips

Re: Glad the water is dropping

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Lets hope for light winds so I am able to put you in the best areas. If not the bays are still producing fish. Good luck on Black Lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.