well?

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

cw14

well?

Post by cw14 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Now that bass is open, hows everyone doing? are they biting? also what is the water level now? around normal?

Tori

Re: well?

Post by Tori » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:02 pm

I don't know about the bass fishing but the water level is VERY high for this time of the year. Lots of flooded docks....mine included! Look at the web cams to see three flooded docks.
Tori

cw14

Post by cw14 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:17 pm

i saw the docks... ive always heard the lake can be high in spring, so wasnt sure if what i was seeing on the cams was normal.. ive never been to the lake in spring

BC

Post by BC » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Not sure how other folks are doing, but this is the worst I've ever done for the opening of bass. Weather hasn't been the best, making it tough to fish a lot. But today is warming up and should be good the rest of the week. We are only averaging about 7 bass per day so far. Which is horrible for opening week. Most years we would average 30 - 40 per day. Water is incredibly high but has dropped 1 inch the past day. A good sign! It should continue to drop daily for awhile.

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Fishing sucks. I fished 6/10-14 and everything seemed out of whack. Weeds were under developed. Water temps down. Bass still spawning. Water very high. Visibility was a 1 foot. The bite would shutdown in a heart beat.
Wasted money on my trip.
Stratos VLO 186

cw14

Post by cw14 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Wasn't hoping to hear that... Will be up there in 7 days

Blake
Newly Registered User

Post by Blake » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:00 pm

First time up to the lake in 10 years and almost forgot how beautiful black lake is. On opener found some smallmouth scattered on wood shoal early in the morning. 5 total caught off of shoal in less than an hour and all keepers- I released all. Bite slowed down and water on south side was very stained- less than a foot visibility. Caught a few largemouth off rocky points on islands until had motor problems and went in for the day at noon. On sunday fished rock walls on numerous island points and shorelines which all produced fish, no numbers of any fish at one spot so kept moving around. All fish caught in 6-10 ft of water. Also found some nice largemouth bunched up along current edge of rip rap on north side of bridge. 5 total caught in area with two being 5 lb+. Monday was more of the same with no spot producing fish in bunches. Water visibility on south side of bridge was worse than days before so focused on north side of lake from bridge. Wind made it difficult to fish anything outside of a cove in the morning. Found a few fish along weeds in coves using topwater. After wind died down fished island points and shorelines just north of bridge which all produced largemouth. All in all trip was a success for what weather mother nature handed us for the 3 days. 48 total fish caught with numerous fish over 3lbs and a few 5 and over. 90% of fish caught on soft plastics and most bites were not aggressive, felt like weight. Be aware as water is high and normally exposed hazards are not visible. Take heed to buoy markers and slow down if any doubt.

cw14

Post by cw14 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Great report... Thanks.