Recent Water level increase and the opener

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ragincajun

Recent Water level increase and the opener

Post by ragincajun » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Anyone know how high and dangerous the recent rain has made the water on the lake? By dangerous I mean the logs that someone had marked etc. Is it still visible etc?

And lastly what will such high water for the opener mean for how it needs to be fished and how hungry or not hungry they will be.

Beaver Trapper

Re: Recent Water level increase and the opener

Post by Beaver Trapper » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 am

ragin, headed their saturday for the week.don't know if the water level will affect the bass,but i see the water temp is holding around 65 to 67.fish should be in post spawn holding in the heavy grass and weed edge in 4 to 6 ft. of water.last year the water was in low 80's and fish hit the summer pattern early, deeper weeds and points.don't know when your going but i'll give report when i get back. 1 day till trip better start packing!

ragincajun

Re: Recent Water level increase and the opener

Post by ragincajun » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks beaver. So I went to the St. Lawrence River for the opener because that is where some friends wanted to go. Hit the first spot at 4:30am. Appeared we were the first boats out. Within 15 minutes others were all over the place. Their was two boats in our group of 4...the other boat lost its batteries for the trolling motor so had to leave around 9am...we stopped catching any so we left around 10:30am. We ended up catching 2 that were 16.5 and one that was 13 and one that was 12.5 for four guys. Not good. Before we left, we came upon a bedding area. The bass were huge and wouldn't stop circling their eggs. Before we figured this all out, we were shocked that they wouldn't hit a single lure and actually swam away from them but kept going in the circle and not leaving the area regardless of the boat presence. Then quickly realized that this years spawn isn't completely over.

Once getting home, I asked the wife to enjoy some sun with me on the boat for such a beautiful day and we headed to black lake. By this time it was after noon and the wind was around 12mph or more. The south end in front of the state launch...whoa...lol

I lost one big big bass in the bay that is across from middle point bay. But finally caught a 15 inch LM on the east side of Conger...only fished that side to fight off some wind. Wife fished a little and sunbathed the rest...I figured 5pm was pushing my luck enough and we headed home.

Couple points of interest, the little little island in front of middle point bay...well..with the water so high I forgot which side to travel...saw the white buoy labeled E...thought...damn...what does E mean...stayed to the right of it...NOT GOOD>>>BANG>>>>>OOPS...not GOOD. Now I remember what side of the buoy that the stick is.

Would also like to point out one annoying thing...90% of boaters that launch on the state launch know the staging area is near the portapotty. How annoying the two pontoons that line up and back up to the top of the ramp and THEN proceed to unhook straps, etc. Come on people...use your heads.