Fishing Report, Last Week

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Gary

Fishing Report, Last Week

Post by Gary » Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 am

We returned from a week at BL Sunday.
At this time of your, I target N Pike.
The fishing was quite good until the weather turned cold on Thursday. I caught 8 or 9 pike, the largest being 28 in. All the fish where caught over, or near weeds in 5 to 10 feet of water.
I have 4 or 5 favorite lures for pike, but this time, the only one to work was the red / black spinner bait. They can be bought locally.

At first I had many short hits, or non takes at the edge of the boat. Probably 3 misses to every fish. So the catch number could have been a lot higher.
After the 2nd day, I removed the "stinger" hook and replaced it with a treble hook. That took care of the short hits. However, I was getting more weeds, and unhooking became more of a problem, as I like to not bother bringing the fish into the boat, except for a measure or pic.
Of course, I talked to other fishermen, and generally, the crappy fishing was a little slower than usual.
However, my neighbors where doing quite well using small mister twisters with I believe 1/8th ounce simple jigs. Yellow or chartreuse color. They were fishing the edges in 4 and 5 feet of water.

I will be returning this Sunday for another week.

If anybody has any ideas on how to get the Pike to bite at the edge of the boat, let me know. I do the figure 8 thing, but they usually turn away.
I even hit one in the face with the s. bait one time, to see if I could upset him. It didn't work, but it was interesting. I was thinking, I could lead the fish up to the boat with the spinner bait, and my wife could spear him. I haven't asked her yet.

Good luck to all you fishermen. It looks like this week will be nice.

Gary

wildchildz

Re: Fishing Report, Last Week

Post by wildchildz » Wed May 29, 2013 2:56 am

Thanks for the info! I have had the same problems with short strikes and found that adding a large Berkley power grup to the stinger hook took care of it. It can be rigged to be weedless, I don't know if it the scent or the added bulk that helps. Might be worth a shot is all I am sayin'. Thanks again and good luck!