smallmoths

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

LTC

smallmoths

Post by LTC » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Okay if some of you dont mind, this is my first year on the lake and I have been reading about the smallmouth just have not caught any. Would someone be willing to tell me were to start or even go to catch these fighters.

Thanks
Carl

wildchild

Re: smallmoths

Post by wildchild » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:51 pm

South end, rocky structure. Shoals or islands with a rocky shore. Senkos work well for me but others seem to do well with live bait, deep weed edges can be good as well. Pick up a Hotspots map and you will have a good idea of where to start.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:28 am

The smallmouths in Black Lake have not been biting well lately for my customers as well. They've caught some small ones on senkos but I have not been able get them bigger ones on crayfish. The lake is very warm right now and they may still be recovering from a late spawn. Every year I question the smallmouth population in this lake. Then later in the summer they start biting and it appears there are plenty. The guys fishing here during the spring and fall will tell you how many there are. I just think July is a more difficult time to catch them consistently. Try topwaters and senkos in the morning and evening around the shoals. The smallmouth will tend to be scattered more now. Bottom fishing doesn't seem to be working yet.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

racing11111

Post by racing11111 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:39 am

Hey, randy how are the small mouths biting on the st lawrence and what pattern are they on now? just curious coming up in a few weeks and just wondering whats happening with the late spawn you posted on here. also whats the better bait up there crab imitations or goby?
thanks racing11111

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:20 am

I fish in the spring and find smallies where I think walleye should be (and aren't :evil: ).

Anyway, as was said above, rocky points, shorelines, and shoals are the places to check. Black Lake is SOOO full of great rocky smallie habitat that I think the fish get pretty selective. They seem to pick out the best of the best spots and leave the other spots alone. What I mean is that you might have to try three or four great looking spots before you find one where the fish are.

There are lots of big smallies in the lake .... just have to find them.

Oh, and fish EARLY.

Roger Over

Post by Roger Over » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:42 pm

This is my first relpy in this forum so bear with me. I used to shore fish smallies on Lake Erie around Buffalo. These fish were pressured heavily and so were few and far between. So I thought outside the box and tried what I describe as freelining shiners, fatheads or bigger minnows : tail hook the baitfish with a thin wire 1/0 straight shank soft plastic worm hook , no sinker , no float. Cast over a likely fish holding spot and leave the bail open and wait. I used 4 or 6 pound test for this. When the line starts to straighten out peel off a few extra feet and close the bail. Set the hook when you feel the fish and presto---fish on. I also mashed the barb on the hook in case it went deep. Sometimes the baitfish stay on top and the smallies blow right out of the water going after them. Another key to this was time of day----crack of dawn. I learnd the hard way about northerns at BL (did you have a steel leader ? ) but if all you lose is a hook if a northern takes the bait think about using the el-cheapo hooks you can get like 25 for a couple bucks at the big boxes. If anyone tries this post a reply as to how it went.

Let em all go to fight another day.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:52 pm

Over the years my biggest SM Bass have come off the narrows area just south of Tavern Island on the NW shoreline. Throw a surface lure within 1 foot of the shoreline pop it once and hang on.

Pike-Buster

Post by Pike-Buster » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Roger Over wrote:This is my first relpy in this forum so bear with me. I used to shore fish smallies on Lake Erie around Buffalo. These fish were pressured heavily and so were few and far between. So I thought outside the box and tried what I describe as freelining shiners, fatheads or bigger minnows : tail hook the baitfish with a thin wire 1/0 straight shank soft plastic worm hook , no sinker , no float. Cast over a likely fish holding spot and leave the bail open and wait. I used 4 or 6 pound test for this. When the line starts to straighten out peel off a few extra feet and close the bail. Set the hook when you feel the fish and presto---fish on. I also mashed the barb on the hook in case it went deep. Sometimes the baitfish stay on top and the smallies blow right out of the water going after them. Another key to this was time of day----crack of dawn. I learnd the hard way about northerns at BL (did you have a steel leader ? ) but if all you lose is a hook if a northern takes the bait think about using the el-cheapo hooks you can get like 25 for a couple bucks at the big boxes. If anyone tries this post a reply as to how it went.

Let em all go to fight another day.
Roger Over, im from buffalo and fish from shore alot for smallies when im not in my boat, are there any other tips you have? I cant wait to try this on erie and black lake, ive never caught a smallie on black lake, and ill be sure to post a reply as soon as i try this, which should hopefully be in the next few days!

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:23 pm

In my opinion Black Lake smallmouth fishing really starts to heat up the last two weeks of August and continues through October. If you fished a traditionally good looking smallmouth spot today (july 24) like a point or shoal I think you would probably catch more largemouth. For some reason the smallmouth and especially larger ones bite better at the end of summer. Look for a great crayfish bite at this time and also a good topwater bite during low-light periods. I have had days fishing around island connected shoals where my partner and I burned through 6 or 7 dozen crayfish with so many smallmouth. You may pick up some really nice perch and crappie also. For you Erie fisherman, this streak of stable.....although very hot.....weather has had the bass hitting everything on rocky structures in 15-40 feet. Fish the bottom but also run cranks much higher up they are chasing anything! I have been trolling for walleyes over deeper reefs and the "basin" and catching so many bass with baits running 10-15 down over much deeper water.

Roger Over

Post by Roger Over » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 am

@ Pike-Buster

I use smaller soft plastic worms n minnow types unweighted or with a small nail weight , small hooks usually colored red and fish slowly. Pressured fish are finicky but not uncatchable. The colors of bait I choose do not seem to be as important as being patient when I know the fish are there. Slow and subtle is about it.