Guided Bass Trip of 7/13

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GuidedBassTrips

Guided Bass Trip of 7/13

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:40 pm

On Tues 7/13 I Had David, Paul, and his dad Phil on board again this year for a guided bass trip on Black Lake. They hired me in August last year and had a memorable day catching smallmouth fishing with crayfish on the shoals. This time it was all largemouth. We began the morning on the end of an outer shoal. Paul and dad Phil caught back to back 4 pounders on the crayfish. Normally there are smallmouth here but not a one this time. I moved them to a weedline to show them how to fish the senko. It didn't take them long to learn the technique catching several smaller bass. I moved them to a better weedline and they caught more bass, this time catching three over 3 pounds. After a short lunch break I took them to another crayfish spot hoping they would catch some smallmouth. Guess what? More largemouth. Then the bad weather came in finishing our day at 3pm. Despite no smallmouth, they caught several quality largemouth and learned how to fish the senko. All bass were released.

The water has dropped alot in the past week which will commonly pull the quality largemouth to ends of points and shoals. Catch and release is extremely important at this time. There could be some easy 5lb plus fish being caught in those types of areas. The smallmouth should begin feeding more on the bottom soon. It sounds like the smallmouths being caught so far have been coming on senkos and small baits being used by panfisherman which is common during post-spawn. They may have been cruising in open water alot.

Good luck to everyone fishing the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.