Decline of Big Bass.

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

snakedoc

Re: Decline of Big Bass.

Post by snakedoc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:44 pm

I let them know that given my age (67) I would probably not see any action, however for my kids and younger fisherman maybe something will happen, but you never know, my glass is always half full.

tmutt

Post by tmutt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:50 am

DEC has no control over Commorants. They are Federally protected (wrongfully in my opinion). Just what good are they? But they sure do a number on our fishery! I think those birds are more distructive to our fish population than any of our fishing.
Slot limits on fish is another story and I hope something can be done there. Most of us practice catch and release anyway so it might have little effect but it would be a try.
Tight lines,

Tmutt

fishUC

Post by fishUC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:15 pm

fished 2 days, morning and nights - boated 20+ bass, 10-12 ofwhich were over 15", most being 16-17.5", largest being 20 3/4" . Rest of the boat did similarly well.. the big girl looked spawned up but was in 3-4 ft water in a bay where beds were prevelent.. Water temp was 68 in some parts, but 72 in most so spawn should be winding down / over. Even the <15" fish were mostly 14"

many baits worked well, in fact just about everything did. Little luck on spinner baits but senko's, worms, creatures, frogs, cranks worked well, senkos and works probably producing the best. -

with so little weed growth the fish were actually pretty easy to find and target, there was a very consistent pattern monday and tuesday (esp. tuesday), as the high pressure system put a mirror finish on the lake.

Wednesdays weather changed but the fish were still very hungry feeding pattern same, 5-6 of the 15+ fish were caught wednesday,.

All were released healthy...

snakedoc

Post by snakedoc » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:36 pm

You say little weed growth !
Was that the case even in the back bays?
We go up for a week July 9th and it's hard to remember a time when thier weren't quite a few weeds.
Those weeds save a lot of fish, guys are reluctent to get in them....Snakedoc

fishUC

Post by fishUC » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 am

yes very little weed growth. In fact, there were no mats, and you could fish with crankbaits in 3-4 ft water in most areas.

there were some lily pads in 1-2 feet but trolling motor could go absolutely anywhere it wanted to...