6+ pound Bass

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ryzer

6+ pound Bass

Post by ryzer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:43 am

Where are the big ones? I don't want quantity when the season opens, I want a trophy. How can I increase my chances? I'm from PA and only fish Black lake about 1 time per year for a few days.

Niagara-eyes

Re: 6+ pound Bass

Post by Niagara-eyes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 pm

A 6lb largemouth is a tough assignment especially for just one day of fishing. I would fish slow, deeper and with big baits. Locate the deep weed edges outside of large bays and look for points, inside turns or something else different in the weedline with your sonar. Concentrate on those spots with big baits fished slowly like a 9-10" power worm, a 3/4 oz jig with lg hawg trailer, or a jig-minnow combo with a 4-6" golden shiner or sucker. I would use a 30lb flourocarbon leader as pike are a real possibilty. I think that would be a good strategy to try. Anyone else with some tips?

ryzer

Post by ryzer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:59 pm

OK, slow and deep with bigger baits. I was sort of thinking along those lines, but wasn't sure. You've been helpful.

Any trophies ever caught throwing topwater bait across the top of the mat?

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:41 pm

6 pound bass don't seem to be as common as they used to be in Black Lake. A common topic of discussion recently. But they do still exist and fishing slowly with larger baits can improve your odds. For years Black Lake was a classic "jig-n-pig" lake along with the larger worms, fished slowly off of deeper points, shoals and rock walls for big fish. An opening day 6 pound fish is also likely to come from a weedline or maybe even shallow in the weeds. Which is why this time of year is not typically considered to be as good for big fish. They can be anywhere. But the water has been dropping rather quickly recently, so those classic deeper areas may be working come opening day. Good luck and enjoy the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:17 am

The really big fish will start backing down off their spawn sites soon, if not already. If you find really good spawning habitat, back out into deeper water from that spot. As mentioned before, deep weedlines on the outside of weedy bays are a great place to start.

I mostly agree that bigger baits are better .... but big bass are often caught using tiny little jigs.

Good luck! I hope you get your trophy!!!