Report for week of May 15-21

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Niagara-eyes

Report for week of May 15-21

Post by Niagara-eyes » Tue May 24, 2011 11:30 am

Good spring fishing....but the constant northeast wind was tough especially early in the week. Very high water conditions and rain almost daily. We were stuck in a low pressure trough the entire week, but at least it was stable conditions so when we found fish they were there all week long. Weed growth is low for this time of year with water temps close to 60 by weeks end. Most weedbeds were under 3 feet of water, even in bays like Upper Big bay and Mitchell bay. Water was a little dirty from run-off.
Pike were very active but running small except for one 30" beauty caught right in front of the camp.. Caught most on #5 Mepps spinners and deep diving crankbaits over the weedbeds. Also found fish close to shore in the flooded trees/bushes. Several nice bass were caught on the spinners also. Mitchell bay was the best.
Crappie were biting well but running small 6-9". Location was around the flooded sticks and bushes near the "shoreline" of bays. Used small tube jigs tipped with shiners for those. Couldn't locate larger ones.
Walleye action was ok using bright colored crankbaits over the deep weed growth around the islands in Orchard bay and also using nightcrawlers/minnows around the shoreline connected shoal near the narrows. These were fished on floating jigheads/lindy rigs. Always caught one or two walleye each morning along with small out of season small and largemouth bass.
Found some huge pumpinkseed sunfish, many 1/2-3/4 pounders on small worms fished on the bottom while waiting for crappie. Always nice to tangle with numbers of big panfish on ultralight rods. The biggest was close to a pound. Usually I find bigger bluegills and small pumpinkseeds but this year it was reversed. The perch were numerous also.....but small. Didn't spend any time looking for bigger perch.
I am sure by now the weather patterns have changed and hopefully the fishing is a little better for you guys fishing this week. Can't wait to get back in the fall.

ErikS

Re: Report for week of May 15-21

Post by ErikS » Tue May 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanx for the report. Seems like its gonna be an interesting trip this year. I'll be up to the lake on 6/11 - 6/18. Im wondering what the patterns going to be then, because we all know Black Lake changes patterns at the drop of a hat...lol.
The more people I meet the more I like my dogs.

Waldo

looking for walleye action!!!

Post by Waldo » Tue May 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Hey! Can anyone give me a report on the walleyes. Never fished the lake but im a huge walleye guy and have cabin at indian head point with family this weekend and would love some info.

ragincajun

Re: Report for week of May 15-21

Post by ragincajun » Fri May 27, 2011 11:36 am

Hey Niagara, great report. Thanks for so much good information. You leave us with no questions and lots of scouting help for our next trip. Sorry though that your next trip isn't until fall.