Is it true that commercial harvesters .... post 1970

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

BaronofBlueberryHill

Is it true that commercial harvesters .... post 1970

Post by BaronofBlueberryHill » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 pm

In 1963 at age 3 my parents started to bring us up to Black Lake fishing and 47 years later, I am still going once a year for a long weekend. Back then, we were nearly the only people who liked catching Calicos. Most fisherman went for the pike. I recall catching in 1969 62 calico bass in 62 casts across from Camp Carol back when Ray and Mary still ran it and all were over 9".

At some point in the 70's, the calico fishing dropped off and I heard that commercial fisherman dragged the lake with nets and harvested out the calicos. Has anyone ever heard that or is it a fish story?

BaronofBlueberryHill

Re: Is it true that commercial harvesters .... post 1970

Post by BaronofBlueberryHill » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Rockhead,

That sounds more logical than what I heard from an ole timer this summer about "commercial fisherman" Glad I asked.
My 15 year old fishing buddy and I were fishing for bass and each two lines out and at one point, we each had a bass on each pole and this kept up for hours. Wow, what a day that was 2008! We released all of the bass back into the lake. They were mostly 2 to 2.5 pounders.

We keep the bluegills and sunny's now and some of them are great size. I filet them and actually, I have fish chowder cooking as I type this using my dad's recipe.

I think the lake is coming along nicely. Lots of pike being caught by those seeking them. Bass is super and for those of us who like the keep them, the blue gills and sunnies are tasty.

Anyone else get into the bass like that?

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:57 pm

I only have one comment on all the "theories" about Black Lake. The "fact" that you can not help Mother Nature do her job.... Black Lake , as well as every other body of water, undergoes transitions and will continue to do so.
Phil

Glenp

Post by Glenp » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Phil

I agree completely with your statement. The ecosystems constantly change. The problem usually is not the ecosystem, it is our reluctance to live with change.

BaronofBlueberryHill

Post by BaronofBlueberryHill » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:26 pm

This summer I was at the Ontario Science Museum and had the opportunity to enjoy the planatarium show. It showed us "Mother Nature" from our viewpoint on Earth and then backs us out of the galaxy and universe and shows the vastness of it all galaxies and how tiny Earth is in relation to that. Wow. The points made about change for Black Lake are certainly true.

But, hey--how about that catching four bass on two poles at once. The boy I was teaching fishing too had such a good time and so did I. That is what counts--that moment and the ones to follow...not trying to "get" the changes we encounter at a single lake, single planet or for that matter, single galaxy. This whole existence is change for each of us and that is why taking the time to fish and enjoy the company of others is so crucial to the meaning of it and one of the best places on the planet to enjoy good fish and good company is Black Lake, NY!

Anyone else get into some good bass fishing like that lately at Black Lake?

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:06 am

A double I have seen but not a quad. Glad you had a great trip and hope you do it again. Planning my trip for this year but not sure what week yet.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

earl

Post by earl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:00 pm

i have a single on a double.a few years ago while fishing with my grand sons they both got a strong hit. after several minutes they landed a single 10 lb. catfish.it had taken both their crabs.

BaronofBlueberryHill

Post by BaronofBlueberryHill » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:40 pm

earl wrote:i have a single on a double.a few years ago while fishing with my grand sons they both got a strong hit. after several minutes they landed a single 10 lb. catfish.it had taken both their crabs.
Earl,

That is amazing. I can only imagine both of them reeling that same huge fish in. What a mental picture that paints!

And Wild--a quad was one big smile.

smallieguy

Post by smallieguy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 pm

I've had a few doubles on a single at black lake. catching 2 smallmouth at once on a crankbait where each one hits a different treble hook. never seen a quad.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:34 am

Love these fish stories this time of year, well any time of year really! I've never caught two on one cast either, and what a thrill for two anglers to reel in the same fish. I did have one first last year, though not at Black. On a local pond I landed a Largemouth on a senko that never had the hook, just held on to the bait all the way into the boat. I've had em let go right at the boat before but never landed one. I even had my dad as a witness, so that was cool. Keep the storias comming all, and may the comming season bring even more and better!
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

cheftommy70

Post by cheftommy70 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:15 am

i also got a double last year but not at black lake...i had a nice 3 lb lgmouth hit a spinnerbait and while i was reeling it in i got tangled in some line in the water...i kept pulling her through it and when i got it to land the line it tangled with had an 18 inch bullhead on it! unhooked and released both