New guy questions

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

BassSeeker

New guy questions

Post by BassSeeker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:42 am

Hello, new here and been reading lots of posts. Thanks for a great site. My buddy and I are visiting beginning Sat for a week. Bringing a 16' boat and staying at the Log Cabins. Fishing with Randy Yager on Sunday, looking at the posts he sounds as though he knows what he's doing. We're Catch and release fishermen.
A few questions if I may. Are there any restaurants near the Log Cabins? Any stores nearby? Apparently the Log Cabins has a store but don't know how well stocked it is. How about boat gas? Are there areas along the main shore and/or islands where one can beach a boat and perhaps build a small fire? Last, how about hot lures? Reading posts seems like baby bass senkos, SK crankbaits in firetiger work well, any others?
Thanks guys!!

ErikS

Post by ErikS » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:12 pm

Welcome to the board. Hot lures for me are chatterbaits, mepps spinners #4 and 5 in white and red work well for me. Spinner baits in green and white and red and white i use alot. If youre fishing for crappies i use mr twisters on a roadruner jig head. I like the new rappala flat side in the perch pattern (shallow runner). Huskey jerks work well in silver and black or perch patterns. Top water is fun early in the am i like zora spooks and hula poppers or try weedless top waters on the weed mats. Ive tryed the Gulp alive stuff it works ok but the stink stays on your fingers for a while..lol.

I dont know much about the boat gas and stuff cause i dont have a boat we rent lol. I think the Log Cabins are pretty well stocked but i would bring most of your stuff from home its just cheaper that way i think.

Hope this helps a little bit. Have fun and good luck. Let us know how you do.

12 days till im up for a week. I cant wait!!!!

Erik
The more people I meet the more I like my dogs.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Their is gas on the water on the north side of the bridge. It is close to the bridge so no worries. I believe log cabins even has a gas service. I have docked there before to buy a lure that I ran out of while fishing and saw signs for gas. Probably they have 5 gallon containers for sale. Food, well they have a little. The store within walking distance, called echoes...has food. Good subs etc. There is a restaurant about 5 miles from you called the black lake tavern I believe. There is also a fish bone restaurant I think it is called, down the road south of you. Bring what you can from home, staying put at camp will be the most enjoyable. However, that is not to say you shouldn't support all the local businesses if possible.

BassSeeker

Post by BassSeeker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks guys! We'll bring most all of our groceries. Not looking to run around to restaurants, etc just might want to hit one some evening, especially the first evening after an 8 hour drive, unloading the boat, etc. we'll check out the Black Lake Tavern.
We'll be at The Log Cabins 9-11 through 9-18. Looked at Billbo's link and we have the Hotspots map. I'm guessing we'll do 90% of our fishing south of the bridge. May try a few evenings/night for walleye but we'll see. Most of the time we'll be chasing bass, pike, crappie and other panfish. Thanks for the lure suggestions. We do quite well on senkos, crankbaits, particularly Strike King, jig/worm combos and frogs. I used to clean up using white or black spinnerbaits but not so much this year. Live bait is fine too and I'm sure the Log Cabins have minnows, etc. Anyway, just want to kick back, relax and hopefully catch a few fish.
If you see a light blue 16' aluminum with "Duranautic 16" on the side give a holler.
Thanks!

Tori

Eating and bait

Post by Tori » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Bassking,
If you are on the south end then you should try to eat at Mclears Camp. Think it is the Fishbone Cafe in camping area....good food at reasonable prices. You might just get some tips from the fishermen who stay there. They have gas for your boat and they have live bait. The Log Cabins has all kinds of live bait for you. If you like a beer or two with your meal then you can eat in a screened in eating area at Mclears Camp.....bring your own. The Black Lake Tavern.....does not serve beer!!

Tori

Seox

Post by Seox » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi All,
Wife and I are also comming up from Long Island to give the "Sweetwater" a try. 9/11-9/18
Staying at McLears in a Motorhome, So If you see a couple of old farts DRIFTING AND DREAMING in a rental boat, say howdy.
Tight Lines and stay well.......JT :lol:

jerry d

Post by jerry d » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:04 pm

you'll love black lake !! as far as hot lures i fished the north end of the lake in july and did ok on simic frogs in lilly pads {log cabins stock them}. but that was july now i'd start to look @ the shoals on the islands on the south end of the lake. if you fish with bait crayfish imo would be a good choice.with artificals i'd use jigs,creatures,crankbaits & senkos. i met capt. randy 2 years ago in the log cabins..... very nice guy,i never fished with him but after talking to him i'd say he's the real deal.

as someone already mentioned the fish bone cafe has good food. so does the turner inn. also the paddle inn has a good fish fry.

well good luck and let us know how you did!!

BassSeeker

Post by BassSeeker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Once again thanks for the information. I like to have a few drinks but truth be told I prefer BYOB places both for cost savings and I'd rather eat someplace where the booze isn't flowing.....those places can sometimes be a PIA. That screened-in area sounds great. Again, if you see the blue boat give a holler.

Seox we'll keep an eye out for the fellow old farts.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:16 am

Good luck to both of you new to this forum. Sounds like everyone else answered your questions so have a great time and let us all know how you make out.

johncran

Post by johncran » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:43 am

heard a rumor from a local that the Black Lake Tavern is closing. Can't make a go of it and they never got their liquor license.

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 am

Thats to bad, They had really good food a nice place for family dining even without the booze :(

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:34 pm

Please say it ain't so! We love the BL Tavern. We have been there a couple of times with friends and the food is very reasonable and the quality is excellent. I can tell you the steaks we had were some of the best, great cuts and grilled to perfection. The inside is truly fascinating, there are antiques and sports memorabilia everywhere. You could spend hours just looking at everything. The real sad part is I heard that the guy invested his whole life savings to follow his dream. This place is truly a great family gathering place that the area really needs. Lets hope that this is just a nasty rumor. If anyone is in the area please check it out any give us an update.

Thanks!

Tori

Post by Tori » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:50 pm

The Paddle Inn is for sale in the town of Edwardsville. I wonder if that is the restaurant that if for sale?? Paddle Inn has a for sale sign right on the bill board with their menu.
Tori

BassSeeker

Post by BassSeeker » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:34 pm

We'll arrive around 3 pm on Saturday, get settled in and wet a line. Looks like cool temps which were hoping for but perhaps some scattered showers, hopefully they'll be more scattered than simply sitting over top of us but one must take the good with the bad.
Hopefully we'll have some good reports with pics. Wish us luck and perhaps we'll run into some of you, once again look for the light blue 16' with DuraNautic 16 on the side, two big guys with fishing rods, the ugly one in the bow is my buddy!!
Thanks again guys for the info