fish report 6/21 to 6/27

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Beaver Trapper

Re: fish report 6/21 to 6/27

Post by Beaver Trapper » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:09 pm

fishbone were from boyertown,i agree with the keeping of some bass,but when you see every nite the fish house full of big egg laying females you start to wonder how many fish can one person eat.keep 10 fish for the week not 10 per day! take a pic and throw it back.the worst part was seeing the fish float around the bay all week.i keep 1 last year to eat and it killed me to clean it.we caught 3,4,5 pound fish you don't see to many 6 and 7's they need time to get that big.i guess some people don't think like i do.

erik

Post by erik » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:56 pm

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/big-old-bass

I can't say anything about keeping Bass because it's their right to keep them but come on man eat some Gil's, Crappie, and or head to Busters in Ogdensberg and order up their perch basket it's amazing!

492VS

Post by 492VS » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Beaver Trapper wrote:i agree with the keeping of some bass,but when you see every nite the fish house full of big egg laying females you start to wonder how many fish can one person eat.keep 10 fish for the week not 10 per day! take a pic and throw it back.the worst part was seeing the fish float around the bay all week.i keep 1 last year to eat and it killed me to clean it.we caught 3,4,5 pound fish you don't see to many 6 and 7's they need time to get that big.i guess some people don't think like i do.
This is a product of the silly sized limit on this lake. First few weeks after opening season everything caught over 14 is harvested by the PA meat eaters. Come september, october fish caught are around 14 1/2 to 14 3/4 inches which is next years frying pan supply. On a rare occasion I pop a 4 lber in the fall, most are runts. Just my experience fishing over the years. Dash for Cash results still prove there are still some 3 lb or better fish still in the lake which is a good indicator since the whole lake is carpet bombed by fishermen that day.

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:14 am

I guess the harvest is worse than I realized.
When I was a kid in the 40's & 50's, fish pictures were wash-line strings of 30, or so, fish on shore, or a dock covered with fish.
I guess that mentality is still out there.
Stratos VLO 186

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:24 pm

Sorry the nice report and pictures has been derailed but the 15 inch limit needs to change. I know it has been already been discussed plenty on here as well. I don't keep more then a couple bass per year but the ones I would like to occasionally keep are the 12-15 inchers. It seems a bit counter productive to make people keep only the larger ones which are the best breeders and closest to reaching trophy size. Plus they don't taste as good. The consequences are exactly what you are seeing in the lake. A ton of 2-3.5 pounders (which isn't the worst thing world) with only a rare one bigger.

Here are a few alternate suggestions:
A slot limit in which you must release the fish. (say from 15 to 19 inches) with only 1 larger per day allowed.
Maybe lowering the daily limit from 5 to 3?
Or just have it like the rest of the lakes in the state. I like the idea of doing something different though.

The problem is these would interfere with bass tournaments on lake.

Beaver Trapper

Post by Beaver Trapper » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:48 pm

i agree with the slot limit,lake anna in virginia had a slot limit for years its since been lifted,they found most people don't keep the bass anyway.you can catch 5,6,7,8 pounders its a great place to fish.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Beaver Trapper wrote:i agree with the slot limit,lake anna in virginia had a slot limit for years its since been lifted,they found most people don't keep the bass anyway.you can catch 5,6,7,8 pounders its a great place to fish.
Ha Ha any three eyed fish? My brother worked there at the Nuc Plant. The warm water discharge year round must keep the fish eating. Do they still have all the submerged Fish Habitat still marked?

jerry d

Post by jerry d » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:33 am

We vacationed at Blacklake for about 11yrs. Stay @ 3 different camps over the course of 11yrs. The only thing that got my goat was some guys would catch their limit in the AM, clean them, then go out and catch again in the PM and be back in the fish cleaning house in the PM.

snakedoc

Post by snakedoc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:49 pm

I have fished BL for over 25 years, I have fought a losing battle regarding getting BL to be a slot limit lake, with no luck. That includes the Chamber of Commerce, as well as DEC. I give up, I'll just let them go. Catch and Release PLEASE.

CNR

Post by CNR » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Sorry if this offends anybody but those us who are sick and tired of talking about this and seeing what is happening to this lake need to take some personal responsibility. Some of my ideas:

1st if you see people breaking the law I.e multiple trips a day with limits to fish cleaning house etc. don't just turn a blind eye and walk away CALL THE NYS DEC!
Guys it's real easy just get boat numbers car license etc and call DEC TIP LINE at 1-800-TIPP DEC. I will guarantee that an officer will come out an investigate an you can remain anonymous to the violators.

2nd NEVER post "specific" fishing information on this website. I can assure you that the very people you folks are witnessing breaking the law are also following EVERYTHING posted on here. Even a simple thing such as a picture gives them a location to target. I know you are trying to help MOST good people out there and that's great and I know we all say please practice catch and release and all that. Unfortunately, there are some people out there that just don't care and will never change no matter how much we preach. So PLEASE don't make it easy for them and start turning them in and soon they won't come back after they've been burned a time or two. Word will get out that people are watching them and they won't risk getting caught and paying big fines or losing their license or worse.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:43 pm

I agree with your first point. Calling the authorities is really the only means of stopping illegal harvest.

I don't agree with you second point. I don't think posting pictures, or even talking about where you caught a nice fish, has any impact on people keeping illegal fish. This is lake has fish (and big ones) spread out ALL OVER THE PLACE. Its not like there are specific hot spots that hold fish and everywhere else is empty. Not posting fun pictures or helpful information just hurts the participants on this forum and does nothing to stop law breakers.

CNR

Post by CNR » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:48 pm

Yeah after thinking about I agree that maybe not posting pics takes things a bit too far, however I still say it's best not to be too specific with posts on fishing information so not to help the butchers and fish n game law violators who are monitoring this site. Don't make it too easy for them, make work for it, something that they're probably not too used to doing!

biggerbass

Post by biggerbass » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:54 pm

The best thing we can do is to be good sportsmen. Obey the laws, keep only the legal limit, eat what you keep. Sharing info is what keeps this forum enjoyable. If we don't post pictures, share basic info, or let others know what is happening on the lake, there is no need for a forum. I personally don't keep fish to eat but I don't begrudge those that do ( if it is legal). There will always be outlaws. Don't let the few ruin it for all the others! Black lake is a special place. This forum helps to make it so.

johncran

Post by johncran » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:44 am

Most lake camp owners know the law and regs. It's the "vacationers" that don't, and will bring in anything to the fishroom. My suggestion would be to mandate that rental owners hand out a size/limit flyer upon registration and also post one in all cabins and at the boat launch. Especially now that you don't get a booklet when you buy your license. Also raise the fines for illegal fish. Just my .02 cents.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:01 am

I agree with your idea of posting the regulations and making known to outside vacation renters the rules and the laws concerning fishing Black Lake. I'm sure the camp rentals would assist in this effort and the DEC may very well provide the materials if asked. Emphasis on the problem would at the very least have some effect in cutting down a lot of what goes on when the DEC and Conservation Officers arn't around the area. Catch & Release!