Camp Purchase and Lake Quality

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Lissa496
Newly Registered User

Camp Purchase and Lake Quality

Post by Lissa496 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:10 pm

To all,
My family is looking at purchasing a camp on Black Lake. When I mentioned this to a person who camps on Oneida Lake, I was told the water quality is not very good, lots of weeds and algae, and the fish catch rate has decreased from past years. Is this true?
I always heard this was the best lake for bass and pan fish.
Looking at coming up to see for myself, but thought I would get more out of asking you all who have been on the lake for a long time.
Thank you in advance!

njmike

Re: Camp Purchase and Lake Quality

Post by njmike » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 am

Hi,
I'm still a new guy and have only had a camp on the lake for 5 years. There are a lot of weeds on the lake but there are areas that are fairly weed free. All lakes have algae and the amount varies year to year. Fishing is great I don't know if it was better 10 years ago but it's been great every year since I've been there. What is the main thing you are looking for from the lake? Fishing, swimming, waverunners, or something else? I recommend renting a place on the lake a few times at different times of year before you decide to buy. This will give you a feel for the area.
Good luck
Mike
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

Tori

Post by Tori » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Mike, thanks for the info. Could you tell us if the north end of the lake has been great for you or do you fish mostly in the south end?
Thanks, Tori

njmike

Post by njmike » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:57 am

The north end is the quieter end of the lake. I fish both ends of the lake. Mid summer fishing is better on the south end cause it's a bit deeper. The usual summer lower water and years with high weeds makes the north kinda weed choked. I fish from our pontoon boat and also from my kayak. I've had days where I covered lots of water with only a few fish and then crush them from my dock. Once you figure out some good areas you can consistently catch fish.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

492VS

Post by 492VS » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:05 pm

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a camp up here. This lake has many spectacular features, the circus plays on the St. Lawrence river leaving this lake very peaceful. To me Oneida Lake along with most finger lakes are basically a round fish bowl and over crowded. If you want to experience nature, this lake or the multitude of other lakes in the area will get the job done. Weeds on the lake are not what they have been compared to 30 years ago, frankly not enough weeds for my liking. Minor algae blooms do occur, most notable in calmer bays where the water is not swept with waves.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:07 am

I've owned and rented a cottage on the lake for many years. Here's my advice to someone looking to buy:

1) Decide what type of experience you are looking for FIRST. Do you want a secluded place tucked away in the woods, or do you want close neighbors and the ability to walk to restaurants and stores? The lake offers both, and this is a more important decision than where the best fishing is. Different parts of the lake have very different communities and very different "feels". You should understand this before buying.

2) The lake floods! Pay very close attention to how the cottage is situated. Many, many of the places on the lake will fill with water in the Spring if the levels come up a lot.

3) Will you be renting the cottage? If so, consider where the boat launch is (there is only one) and where the restaurants and stores are. Renters might prefer to be close to things. Renters also hate steep walks down to the dock. They much prefer flat yards and easy access to their boats.

4) Pay close attention to the water where your dock will be. Is it deep enough? Will it be deep enough when the water is low? Does the area get choked with weeds in the summer? Is there access to easily put the dock in and out?

5) The lake is WINDY! The prevailing winds come out of the NE (just look at the trees). The winds can get so fierce they knock over docks, swamp boats, and send patio furniture three houses down. Just be aware of how the house is situated. I had to put a metal roof on because shingles just wouldn't stay on the windward side of my cottage.

6) The fishing is good everywhere on the lake! You can catch fish from the Oswegatchie to the Falls. There are all kinds of fish and a million ways to catch them. May and June are amazing. I hate July and August. And then the Fall is superb.

Lastly, I HIGHLY recommend renting a few different places over a number of years before buying. I spend 10 years renting before I bought and I'm glad I did.

Musky hunter

Post by Musky hunter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:03 pm

One more thing. If you're buying with the thought in mind that you can easily sell and maybe make a few bucks, please reconsider. There are a lot of properties for sale this month and there will be more at summer's end. Lots more. Many properties have had FOR SALE signs in front for years.
If you find the spot that's just right for you, by all means buy it. If you are planning on flipping a camp, stick with rentals.
Just saying.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 am

Musky Hunter makes an excellent point!!!

I sold my camp earlier this year as it got too small for our growing family (5 kids and one bathroom just doesn't work).

My cottage was one of the nicest on the lake. Excellent location, very nice and updated inside, brand new aluminum dock, new roof, new deck, etc etc. It took a LONG time to sell and I had to drop the price significantly below what I felt it was worth.

I rented the cottage for many years and made a decent return on my investment. But it was a gigantic pain in the butt keeping up with repairs and dealing with renters when I live 7 hours away.

Looking back on the whole experience, I wouldn't do it again. Mostly because of the distance. If I lived only a few hours from the lake it would be a different story and I'd keep the cottage forever.

njmike

Post by njmike » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:50 am

Getting ready to list our place in the next week or so. I'm 5hrs from the lake and have a 1 year old. We currently have an accepted offer on a house at the Jersey shore. I'm going back to my roots of saltwater fishing. I'm sad to leave the lake as it's one of the most relaxing places for me but closer to home and more time with extended family is important to us. Hopefully the sale goes quickly but I know is may be a while. Wish me luck!
D. Larson

mojo

Post by mojo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:01 pm

I do not regret a single day we were able to spend time at our camp on Black lake. However, after reading the latest posts I have to agree with the negatives from a practical standpoint, and no a much different response.

4 hour drive each Friday night fighting the thruway traffic and nut jobs. Couldn't wait to get to the camp. Friday evening camp fire and a few drinks. Saturday was clean-up and repair day along with adjusting dock heights. Saturday evening a sunset cruise (when it wasn't raining - most times then not, is was). Sunday, a little fishing then pack it up and head home Sunday night for work Monday. It just got to be too much. We sold our camp at a significant profit - right time, right buyer! All in all, I probably spent more time driving/cleaning/repairing then fishing or boating. But I still have to say, when I wasn't doing that stuff, it was outstanding.

RENT as you go!!!!!!!! - you'll save plenty of money in the long run and someone else has to worry about the condition of the camp, cottage, docks etc. Do the math! Life is too short especially when you have another property to take care of.

njmike

Post by njmike » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:27 pm

My camp sold in only 6 days! I didn't think it would go that quickly. I took most of my stuff home this weekend. Happy and sad at the same time. Only thing i have left is the dock. I'll be back up but renting this time.
D. Larson