Sturgeon in Black Lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

492VS

Re: Sturgeon in Black Lake

Post by 492VS » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:44 pm

pabeartrap wrote:Should be interesting to see how that goes over next couple years. Anyone know if the long nose gar are new or if they have been in the lake awhile ?
Been there for a long time. I usually see one a year float ashore from a propeller hit. Was drying out a head from one, but some how it walked away from the tree it was decaying in. :roll:

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:59 am

Sturgeon have been introduced in recent years to bring them back as they probably were in the lake in the past. As for long-nosed Gar pike, they have been in the lake for as long as I can remember. Our family camp and cottage has been around since the mid fifties. It is common to see schools of these gar pike come and go in the bays. Especially on hot days during the summer. I can remember watching them chase out other fish into deeper water as they are on their hunger run. Should you be lucky enough to catch on to one they will give you a run for your money. In shallow water they will leap out of the water and will run if in deeper water. One should be careful , however, as their teeth can cause serious cuts if not handled right. Catch & Release !!!!

pabeartrap

Post by pabeartrap » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks for the info. Yes I have caught them in Cayuga lake before .
yes catch and release :!:

chris14race

Post by chris14race » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:34 pm

pabeartrap wrote:That is a shame about the sturgeon for sure. Ive been fishing Black Lake for years and have seem them jumping in that area also.I was fishing there this spring and saw a gar. I was kind of shocked due to the fact I have never saw one anywhere in the lake. ive never even heard anyone talk about them there.
we see them every year...usually huge ones 30" and longer just swimming along in big groups just under the surface

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Not only is the Sturgeon demise sad but there are a host of other situations that are unforgivable. These include the introduction of Crappie into the lake back in the 50s and 60s leading to the demise of the Walleye population - removing of the dam at Rossie around the same time and the silting of the gravel beds that were the result of same - the I don't care attitude of people visiting our lake and loading up with undersized and unlimited amount of fish in general - the illegal taking of undersized bass and not allowing them to grow larger and be more productive in reproduction - the uncontrolled Cormorants that wreck havoc with the fish resources -Zebra mussels that resulted when they were probably introduced by so called sportsmen transfering them from one body of water to another - and we could go on and on. It is amazing , however, that the lake has survived as well as it has. We ( property owners, visitors ) can do a much better job in protecting our lake by abiding by currents laws that pertain to our lake. Caring and good conservation of the lakes resources will ensure many years of enjoyment to come. Failure to practice good conservation will result in the loss of one of the best NY lakes for fishing and recreation. Catch and Release!!!