Need some help

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

brian_c

Need some help

Post by brian_c » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:35 am

We normally fish Black Lake around beginning of August - been going 10yrs, usually south of the bridge and stay that end hugging weed lines and other structure.

Due to the high water on the St. Lawrence and the speed restrictions imposed as a part of it, we'll be up next week to fish Black Lake. I'm not looking for specifics - go here, toss this lure, at this time of day - but rather generalizations as to where I might locate some decent fish. North of the bridge? South of the bridge? Same structure?

Going to have my wife, 5yr old son, and 3 yr old son with me so we kinda need to keep things active. If nothing else, I'll put a number of hours on the new boat for break in so traveling a distance isn't too much of a concern.

**Won't be keeping anything we catch, filet knife is staying home due to the kiddos.

Thanks!!

MrSimon

Re: Need some help

Post by MrSimon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:51 am

Here is what I do with my kids and they love it.

Find a weed edge in 5-8 feet of water. Anchor. Drop down little tiny jigs with just a piece of worm on the hook. If you don't catch anything in about 5 minutes, move a bit down the weed edge and try again. When you hit them, you can catch as many as you want. We catch perch, sunnies, bluegill, and crappie. Usually we also get some surprise bass, pike, catfish, or bowfin.

Once you catch a few panfish, it starts a feeding frenzy and draws fish in from close by. You can literally catch hundreds without moving the boat.

We also like to cut one nightcrawler into about 20 little pieces and toss it out before starting. It brings them in great.

We have done this all over the lake. North, South, bays, around islands, main lake points ..... anywhere you find weeds. Being close to deeper water or other structure really helps with the bonus big fish.

Here is my recipe for having a great day with kids on Black Lake .... pack LOTS of snacks and drinks, take a long boat ride to some out of the way place on the lake, count fish until the boat catches 100 (it's a magic number for kids), pull up on shore and explore for a while, find a place to swim, then go get ice cream. A perfect day.