Catch and release NOT allowed on Black Lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

spence

Catch and release NOT allowed on Black Lake

Post by spence » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:46 pm

There is no catch and release season allowed on Black Lake, but I have been to camp three times since the pike opener and guys are constantly working the shoreline with wacky rigged plastic worms, and jig and pig type baits. Obviously doing what they want. I would think that the hoards of panfish will do a number on those bass eggs and new fry when they are left alone for a couple minutes. I would like to see this behavior corrected, but I have never seen an eco on the lake. I guess I'm just venting my frustrations. I love catching bass too. When it's legal to target them. If the lake can handle it, open it up to C&R...

MrSimon

Re: Catch and release NOT allowed on Black Lake

Post by MrSimon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:01 pm

This has been discussed a million times on here .... in fact, it's the most talked about subject to ever come up.

There are and will always be folks who C&R bass pre-season. Either they don't know, or they don't care. But, once bass seasons opens up the fishing pressure sky-rockets! The number of boats targeting bass goes up by ten fold. This tells me that the majority of folks are following the rules. I can live with that.

Considering the lake is absolutely stuffed with healthy bass, including small fish, the reproduction rate on Black Lake is fine. The steady decline of big fish, however, is a testament to over-harvest, which is the real problem on the lake and needs addressed.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:20 am

My best pike lure is a jig with a gaudy 6" rubber worm trailer.

spence

Post by spence » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:40 am

492VS wrote:My best pike lure is a jig with a gaudy 6" rubber worm trailer.
Ha! Is that with or without a steel leader? You know what I'm saying...it's usually obvious whats being targeted. But enough said on this.

njmike

Post by njmike » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:00 am

492VS wrote:My best pike lure is a jig with a gaudy 6" rubber worm trailer.
I agree. I use small plastic swimbaits in the early season. I also don't use a steel leader unless the fish a super aggressive. I fished for pike two weeks ago on the north end of the lake mostly on the outside edge of the weeds and between 2 of us on the boat we caught 5 or 6 bass and 2 pike. I'm with you on the guys up shallow obviously fishing over visible bass beds directly under the boat but no matter how many times I tell the bass no to eat my lure until the opener some just don't listen.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Spence, this has been a "gray area" for a long time and has also been discussed on this forum for a long time. But I do believe the closed season still works, because trust me, the guys who know it's not catch and release are kind of looking over their shoulder if you know what I mean. But there are some that are not aware of the difference between catch and release and totally closed. I get calls from guys wanting me to take them on a pre-season trip and I have to explain it to them. They do write tickets here for fishing for bass before the season. It usually has to be a very blatant infraction though like fish being in possession.

The lake might be able to handle a catch and release season but I personally don't want to see the increased activity on the lake then.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am

I tried the jig, tiped with a large tube bait. Fished in weebs 6-8 feet of water. Caught 2 pike, no bass. I used to use steel leaders, but I switched to 30 lb florocarbin as a leader. Every time I catch a pike, check for abrassion and cut off what is bad. About 2 weeks ago, I started fishing in 2-3 feet of water. Caught 2 bass and a very nice bowfin. From then on, I've been staying deeper with only a couple
stray bass.
Good Fichin