Fishing Regs?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Tori

Fishing Regs?

Post by Tori » Wed May 24, 2017 6:20 am

Question for Wishin Fishin
So you took your limit of crappies in the morning, afternoon and night?
That is 25,25 and 25 so you took 75 fish in one day? Is that legal?
Tori

mojo

Re: Wishin Fishin - Fishing Report 5/19- 5/24

Post by mojo » Wed May 24, 2017 10:56 am

Tori - of course it's not legal. Lets hope the post is "a fish story" and not the truth. :!:

492VS

Post by 492VS » Wed May 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Tori wrote:Question for Wishin Fishin
So you took your limit of crappies in the morning, afternoon and night?
That is 25,25 and 25 so you took 75 fish in one day? Is that legal?
Tori
Sure it is if you let them go or are from Pennsylvania. To the wackem, packem and stackem crowd. Filet out.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Thu May 25, 2017 2:19 pm

Interested in hearing from " Wishin Fishing " on this obvious illegal catch of Crappie. This is a prime example of what happens all the time at our lake. Where are the Conservation Officers when you need them? When we see these abuses of our resource we should report and turn in these people. They are not doing our lake any good. Business owners could also do more to help DEC enforce the laws by periodicaly keeping a watch on their renters when they use their cleaning stations. If is also noted that this applies to all species of fish that are in Black lake. The number of undersized Bass , Pike etc that are taken each year by these So - called fishermen is enormous. It's amazing that there are any substantial amount of any species left in the lake. Catch & Release !!!!!

MrBluegill

Post by MrBluegill » Fri May 26, 2017 8:01 am

I'll presume innocent until proven guilty by presuming he meant he fished morning, afternoon and evening for a total of 25 fish.

sickntired

Post by sickntired » Fri May 26, 2017 8:29 am

Finally, a sensible comment. It's to bad you all want to crucify before you get all the facts straight. And the undignified comment about Pennsylvania anglers was totally unnecessary. I hope Wishin Fishin is able to forgive and continues to give us fishing reports!

mojo

Post by mojo » Fri May 26, 2017 10:54 am

OK - comments were posted on what was stated - "I was able to limit out morning, afternoon and evening". Anyone who fishes knows exactly what that means - limited out 25 fish 3 times that day. If he misrepresented the catch, then let him say so and clarify.

The important message from folks here is a reminder to anyone who reads these post that a 25 fish limit means PER DAY to hopefully prevent the aledged over taking of fish once again.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Fri May 26, 2017 11:25 am

When anyone writes a post he/she should go over what is stated. Not making things clear for the average receiver gives way to miss understanding. This is exactly what happened in this case. I for one usually go over what I post two or three times both looking for a clear understanding and for spelling. When I'm finished then I submit it for preview prior to actually posting. Catch & Release!!!!!

Jhnmcggh

Post by Jhnmcggh » Sat May 27, 2017 1:15 am

It's unfortunate that text are posted that are either grammatically inaccurate ( fished Morning, afternoon and evening to catch my limit). Or, they are bragging about the ability to catch fish without any regards to the conservation laws that govern the limits of that species daily.
Why someone would post that they violated conservation laws by exceeding their limit of crappie( 3x) is something
an individual wouldn't want made public. In addition to setting himself up to be chastised by other members of the site.
Consequently, I would hope that the moderators would remove any post that encourages violating D.E.C regulations. Additionally it would prevent a thread from being transformed from a report and conditions thread to a opinionated mostly condescending thread. ( rightfully so, if in fact true).
Has anyone attempted to pm the author for a clarification ? I fished the 11-13th, with 9 other friends and will report our results on the next post.

Jhnmcggh

Post by Jhnmcggh » Sat May 27, 2017 2:41 am

Fished Black Lake from 5/11 to 5/13. With seven buddies. Wasn't feeling well thursday so passed on fishing, but my buddies really struggled on catching crappie. In fact, after 5 hours of fishing, they failed to catch a keeper crappie. And they are accomplished fisherman. So the prospect for Friday, seemed bleak. And the first four hours (9-1) of the day reinforced the previous days results. However about 1:30pm we stumbled upon a keeper crappie. About 5 minutes later another, then another. So, we re-evaluate what we were doing when we got the bites. We were fishing 9-10 feet of water and slow Retrieving our curly tail plastic grubs/ minnows on a 1/16 or 1/32 jighead. We originally started catching the fish in the bottom 2-3 feet of the water column. This lasted for 10-15 crappie. Then it slowed down. After a few adjustments we were able to relocate the school. Now they were in the upper 1-3 feet of the water column.
But we had to make other adjustments also. Repetitively catching fish seems to always draw a crowd. Shortly there were an additional 10 -12 boats in the immediate area. The one factor that can turnoff the active bite of a school of fish is fishing PRESSURE. So, we( 3 boats in my group) formed a triangle shape with our boats. In addition, we turned our trolling motors and depth-finders off. We continued to stay on a active bite for another 30 minutes before making our last adjustment when the school again slowed down biting. We were about to pack it up, when one guy in the group caught a nice crappie on a jig about 4-5 feet under a bobber. So, a few of us started throwing a bobber. We picked up an additional 15-20 fish. We kept crappie nine and half inches to a handful of 12 inch. Totaled 135 crappie. Probably caught 200 keepers.
That seems like a lot, but our 8 people limit would have been 200.
Three of us left after filleting the fish( graduations) the next day one boat went back to the same area and struggled for a few keepers. The other boat worked in tight to an island. In the flooded bushes. They were very successful, threegus caught about 50 crappie with quite a few of the larger crappie (11-12).6 inches of water about 2 feet. Water temps both days was 60-62 degrees.

Headed home that

492VS

Fishing Regs?

Post by 492VS » Sat May 27, 2017 9:19 am

So those anglers that hit 25 fish/day went back to camp the rest of the day or added to the filet bucket of those not catching. Angling limits are not the total quantity of the party.

Shad Rap

Post by Shad Rap » Sat May 27, 2017 6:36 pm

not only that, you're only allowed to transport so many days worth of limits per person...example...if I go up the first week of bass season and limit out every day...I'm not able to even keep and transport all those fish even though I stayed within the per day limit...I'm guessing a lot of folks dont even realize that...not sure if its like that with crappie but I know it is with bass.