Thanks Bob-o

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

JR

Thanks Bob-o

Post by JR » Tue May 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Although it didn't sound like the greatest of trips for you this time, it was a good report. Thanks for the insight and I'll be sure that post my own when I get back near a computer. I'm hoping the weather and fish cooperate so I can leave some helpful info.

MikeyPo

Re: Thanks Bob-o

Post by MikeyPo » Thu May 18, 2017 12:10 am

Been fishing since Sunday the 14th. Not going to lie my son in law and I have boated some nice fish to date but man did we work for them. The lake is really high and today was so windy it turned the lake into a huge mud puddle. We didn't count the fish but we caught Pike anywhere from 15"-30",numerous largemouth to 4 plus pounds,some jumbo perch that hit our artificials and one beautiful walleye that measured a full 28". All released unharmed except the walleye that we ate...obviously the bass has to be released anyway. Picked most fish up on spinnerbaits and rapalas. Couldn't really establish a set pattern just drift and cast but if there was submerged weed growth that seemed to be a plus. Again you have to really work for the fish sometimes you can fish cast for what seems like an hour or so before you catch any then you may hit 2 or 3 in a five minute period.

JR

Post by JR » Thu May 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Which end of the lake are you fishing, North or South?

MikeyPo

Post by MikeyPo » Thu May 18, 2017 7:26 pm

We fish the northern end of the lake. From Camp Carol north. Today was a total loss due to the windy conditions. We only have a 14ft. row boat with a 9.8 hp or is that 98 hp lol. Love to try the other end of the lake but are limited because of our boat. Maybe some day we'll get that chance but until then we stick to what we know. Hopefully the winds will calm and things will get back to normal by Saturday the last day of our trip before we head back home to the hustle and bustle of the lower Hudson Valley NY.

FishOn0099

Post by FishOn0099 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 pm

We were also on the water today but with the high winds we seemed to get blown off every spot we were on. Handful of perch and crappie but that's it. We're hoping to run into some walleye. What did you catch your walleye on and what was the area like you were fishing when you caught it? Can't seem to figure them out on black lake, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

MikeyPo

Post by MikeyPo » Fri May 19, 2017 7:34 am

My son in law caught it on a suspending rapala. I believe it was a lucky cast ( just saying) . ill keep posting any results we have. last two days. Got to go Im being called to the boat.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Fri May 19, 2017 8:36 am

Mike,
I have to say that it takes great restraint to know your boat is limited by size to not go beyond it's capability. Black Lake is huge and to know where you can go vs where you want to go is great personal responsibility. The lake has so much to offer on both sides of the bridge that moving around from north to south doesn't always make sense to me. The fish are everywhere and you are doing well for where you are from what i read. I started out on a 14ft rental and now have a 16ft deep V with a 11 gallon tank and can move around OK but there are times that the lake still gets too rough to just go anywhere and have to meander around islands and bays so my fellow passengers don't get beat up and soaked. Good luck on the rest of your trip and hope you come back to see the rest of the lake in the future.
Bob-O

By the way I live in the lower Hudson valley, Rosendale area.
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

JR

Post by JR » Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 am

Mike,

We will be up at Camp Carol Saturday so maybe we will see you in passing. I have a red truck and red 16ft Lowe. I will be with my father in his blue truck and blue 16ft Lund. In all the years we have fished there, I have caught 2 walleye, both within an hour and my son has caught 2, out of the lagoon there, believe it or not.

As far as fishing the south end of the lake, I agree with Bob-O. It is a long ride and weather can change pretty fast. Also, I have gradually increased my boat size and now have a 70hp. I can make the other side of the lake but rarely do. Being that the other end of the lake is the deeper side, it can be a different kind of fishing. In all the times we have traveled down there, we have yet to do better than we do right where you are. I'm sure if you spend a lot of time there, you can figure it out, but the grass isn't always greener for us "Northerners".

Thanks for the info and I'll be sure to post when I get back and let you know what would have happened if you stayed. I'm usually the guy that leaves and the next week they kill em', so maybe it's my time! I will be trying to go for Crappie, and bluegill, but we love our pike fishing and will be doing that, too.

Good luck today and tomorrow and I'll keep you posted.

JR

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 am

The Northern end of the lake is a great place .... but it can be weird too. The temperature, depth, and structure is pretty consistent all the way up. It's fantastic habitat with all the weeds, current, and bays ... but it's hard to pinpoint where the fish are.

Sometimes I feel like they just spread out over the entire part of the lake, and other times I feel like they are all in one particular bay. I've caught them in tight to shore, off the points, at the mouth of bays, along the Western shore, and even just smack dab out in the middle of the channel.

Like you did with the spinnerbaits, it can be fun (and productive) to just drift around with three or four guys in the boat and just fire lures in all directions. You can pick up fish ANYWHERE.

Anyway - thanks for the report. I agree that once this crazy wind and weather settles down a bit, the fishing might be hot!

MikeyPo

Post by MikeyPo » Fri May 19, 2017 9:34 pm

To All
Today Friday. My son and law and I started out way up at the north end. Had to be @ 9:30 in the morning before we started wetting our lines. Took a bit but we started boating some LM and a few hammer handles. Same thing drifting and casting. We only fish with artificials. By noon we must have caught 10 LM and 7 Pike total. Certainly nothing to brag about but it beats nothing. Went back out this afternoon headed south towards Edwardsville Bridge. Trolled around the islands down there but that didn't produce anything. went under the bridge and fished the east side. Lots of rock unlike the northern end. We immediately began picking up some smallmouth but no Pike. Caught one SM maybe 3# . That is some big water at that end and again not being familiar with that area and the fact that we had a pretty long ride back to camp decided to call it a day.

Bob-o
I live in the Wappingers Falls area. Small world