Advice for May Crappie fishing

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

radelizi

Advice for May Crappie fishing

Post by radelizi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:54 am

Heading second week may to the lake for annual fishing trip. Historically I have targeted northern pike. This year I would like to try and catch some crappie. Any advice on fishing crappie, and how to target them. I have fished black lake 15 years, never caught a crappie or a walleye.

Fishpro

Re: Advice for May Crappie fishing

Post by Fishpro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:39 am

Years ago one couldn't go fishing without being tormented by the Crappie. Like the Walleye the wonderful powers to be made a few bad mistakes. Introduction of the Crappie ruined the Walleye population. Crappie predation took its toll. Since then the crappie population has diminished a lot as time went on. Now one can only catch them on and off . I would recommend you use a deph finder to locate the Crappie and look for rocky areas where they tend to be found. Since the size limit is at least 9 inches it may take a few different areas to get the legal ones. Although I'm a Catch & Release fisherman anymore, I still remember how good they taste. Good Luck --- Catch & release.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Water temp and weather will dictate where the crappie are in their spawn cycle. That's hard to predict.

If they are prespawn, look for staging areas close to spawning habitat. I like creek-mouths and main lake points that lead into big bays.

If they are spawning, get yourself into some really thick cover at the back of bays and wayyyy up creeks. Those suckers will get into places you wouldn't imagine.

If they are post-spawn .... fish for something else.

Later in the season I have great success finding pods of big crappie on the deep edge of large weedbeds.

315Anglers2017

Post by 315Anglers2017 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:42 am

We 'll be up there the same time ..PM me if u have trouble finding em Ill.let u know if we have and whats been working
#TightLines

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Wed May 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Crappie are my reason for the season at Blk. Lk. for the past 30 yrs. I concur with what Mr. Simon says but, remember parts of the lake and bays especially will have different water temps (west/east shores) so the crappie are in different cycles especially between both halfs of the lake - deep/shallow ends. Live bait with boober, jigging all has an effect. But, if I could tell you anything...MOVE AROUND!! you must hunt!!! We have our own trek, developed over years but, we always find new ones.

He was funny about summer, I have also found pods in the summer but its hard work.

...Fish On!!!!