Black lake water level

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

lurehoe
Newly Registered User

Black lake water level

Post by lurehoe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:39 pm

Hello, I used to fish black lake in the 90's & was wondering about the lake level in the past few years--I have heard the water has been low for years?? Had some great days on this lake & am thinking about possibably going this year--
Any info or input is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Mark -Ohio

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Black lake water level

Post by Phil » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:10 am

Hi lurehoe - Black Lake water levels are pretty much dependant on the Indian River and Oswegatchie River watersheds. Generally speaking, during a wet period of any season the lake rises and then falls during a dry period. Springtime, and the snow melt that comes with it, usually sees the lake at its highest levels; while a dry summer spell will see it low.
I don't believe that, in general, the lake levels have been low.
Phil

492VS

Post by 492VS » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:28 am

Water levels are the same. What is different from the 90's iis way less weeds and way more cormorants.

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:43 am

Water has not been as low as some had been reporting. Last summer seemed like the driest I can ever remember but the water level impressively stayed up and was also very stable. It was raining in other parts of the north country which probably helped. The biggest difference I find from the 90's is the milfoil spreads out a lot more so you don't have the well defined weedlines we had back then. There are also less lily pads in the backs of the bays than there used to be possibly because of invasive plants and maybe changes in the bottom.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:03 am

This rainy weather event has the potential to raise the water level significantly. The rain and snow melt from the upper oswegatchie river basin could be coming in from the lower end of the lake. That will raise the water and play havoc with the ice for sure. Be careful out there, if you are still fishing.
Phil