Fishing Update / Bow Fishing the lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

johncalvin

Fishing Update / Bow Fishing the lake

Post by johncalvin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:34 am

Anyone have a current fishing report? We are leaving the 23rd of July to come up on family vacation. This is our first time. We are looking forward to enjoying the fishing the lake has to offer and in particular will be targeting bass, perch, crappie & pike. I also spoke to the NY Fish & Game department and found out the lake is open to "bow fishing". I am told there is an abundance of carp on the lake. Anyone know where we might find them? We normally hunt at night in the shallows with lights on the boat.

Any info would be appreciated.

Fishpro

Re: Fishing Update / Bow Fishing the lake

Post by Fishpro » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:57 pm

Here' s a Big Welcome to our lake. Black Lake has about all the fish that you mentioned. There are size limits on Pike, Bass and Crappy. Please go over the laws and rules for Black Lake as they differ somewhat from the rest of the state. Bass in particular must be a minimum of 15 inches to be legal. As for Carp - there are a lot of them unfortunately and I would recommend the Northern part of the lake as the place to go. Check with the people where you will be staying for local information. I have in the past noticed a lot of them around Jennies Island, North of Booth Island which is at the Edwardsville bridges. Good Luck and Have a Great Time!!!!

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:36 pm

Almost forgot - As we go forward into the Summer, the lake waters are warming up day by day. Late July and August you will notice a lot of green areas near the shore. This is the Summer norm turnover. Fishing tends to become slower as time goes on. Fish head for the deeper areas of the lake as the water temps rise. Best times to fish would be early morning and evening. Game fish tend to feed better as the water temps become more comfortable. Pan fish though always seem to be around and the kids should be happy and have a good time. Again - Have a Great Time! Catch & Release!

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:23 am

Hi John....Welcome to the lake....Black Lake is a shallow and weedy bass and panfish lake...It is normally clearer than what you will see when you get here, as the annual algae bloom has begun and many areas of the lake are getting quite green....The water is at its normal mid-summer level despite some reporting record low water....Kids tend to catch as many panfish off the dock as they do from the boat. Bass are the most prevalent gamefish along with pike that are not typically active in the summer....And yes it has a lot of carp now along with jumping sturgeon...You are more than welcome to shoot the carp if you can. Although you may find the visibility to poor to hit them easily....The sturgeon are suppose to be left alone.....Good luck.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

njmike

Post by njmike » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:17 pm

enjoy your trip John. In the passed few weeks there have been good numbers of carp rolling in the north end of the lake in the area across from snake island. That would be the west shore line. I did not see any this weekend though. The water has become very cloudy. I had some luck fishing 6 to 8' with swimbaits and bass jigs. Good luck.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson