Boat fuel

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

njmike

Boat fuel

Post by njmike » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:46 am

How do you fuel your boat if you keep it in the water and don't have a removable tank? Got a new boat with a 25 gal tank. I could have 5 five gallon cans and go to the gas station. Any other ideas?

Thanks
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

mojo

Re: Boat fuel

Post by mojo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:13 pm

That's one way to do it. At one time, I thought someone on the lake had a gas pump - perhaps the Log Cabin or Mclears. You can cantact them to find out.

One thing for sure, if you have a new boat with a 25 gallon tank, make sure you use an Ethanol Additive or Sta Bil for fuel in the tank. The problem with the built in tanks is there no way to easily drain them. Assuming the new motor is a 4 stroke OBM, stale gas is a killer for fuel injectors. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck

njmike

Post by njmike » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:18 pm

I will look into that thanks. I spend the extra few dollars for ethanol free premium fuel that is available in N.Y.. That is not an option in NJ.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

fishinmagician

Post by fishinmagician » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:49 pm

To my knowledge Mclears is the only pump on the water (fuel dock) since Sunnyside just north of the bridge stopped selling gas. This info is as of 7/2 when my vacation ended.
The second amendment is in place, in case THEY decide to ignore all the others.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:09 pm

I use 5 gallon racing fuel jugs. No bullshit anti spill crap on it either. Just swap caps. Easy to use. Ihave a 64 gallon tank on boat and get the fuel at the fastrac in watertown on the way up.
Attachments
sum-g7991_m.jpeg
sum-g7991_m.jpeg (1.45 KiB) Viewed 7903 times
sum-g7988_sn_m.jpeg
sum-g7988_sn_m.jpeg (1.83 KiB) Viewed 7903 times

njmike

Post by njmike » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:52 pm

How many do you bring? Looks like the easiest way to do it.
D. Larson

492VS

Post by 492VS » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:46 am

njmike wrote:492,

How many do you bring? Looks like the easiest way to do it.
I have 8 jugs that I juggle around. Most depends on where you fish or how far you travel on the water. It's easy for me since I have a pickup, they are light enough to lift, strap down to transport and I have a storage shed away from everything to store them in. Usually I just bring a a couple jugs to top off what I use. If you go that route you will also want a rubber strap wrench to tighten the cap so they don't leak while filling tank.

craiglemans

Post by craiglemans » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:47 am

I second 492VS's recommendation. I carry two similar jugs (I have the VP version that Cabelas sells, but I can't specifically recommend those as the plastic molding leaves a bit to be desired). I added a brass ball valve inline to prevent any spills. I can get the hose/can situation before I start the fuel flowing as the filler cap on my boat makes filling it on the water a bit dicey.

As an FYI, Syracuse nationals is this weekend and they usually have these fuel jugs at the vendor booths.

njmike

Post by njmike » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks guys. I just ordered 4 Sunoco brand jugs on amazon. they had good reviews and I had a credit to use.

thanks again,
Mike
D. Larson

njmike

Post by njmike » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:47 am

The ball valve sounds like a good idea too. I'm definitely going to do that.
D. Larson

irishman13

Post by irishman13 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:42 am

McLear's has a pump right on the water and it's Ethanol free gas

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:15 pm

irishman13 wrote:McLear's has a pump right on the water and it's Ethanol free gas
Yup! Great place and good people.

Another alternative to hauling jugs around is to just trailer up and drive to the gas station. Honestly, it's probably quicker and easier than filling up all the jugs and then lugging them down to the boat.