Sad day today

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

mojo

Sad day today

Post by mojo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:18 pm

Just read the story of the gentleman who lost his life and 2 other's injured as a result of a boating accident on Black Lake. My condolences and prayers to his family. It brings back memories of close calls when I was younger and boating on this lake. I was lucky.

Since then, I have boated Black Lake for more than 38 years and always seem to find new areas with hidden danger especially submerged rock piles and boulders. I've even placed empty clorox bottles/rope and cinder block to mark these areas especially during low water levels to warn boaters. BUT this should never take away the responsibility of the boater to be careful and especially to remember to wear a floation vest. In a split second everything can change.

We all know accidents can happen, but so many are avoidable if we just follow the basic safety rules when boating. Let this be a reminder to us all so we can return home to our families safe and to the lake we love being on. Be safe!

cheftommy70

Re: Sad day today

Post by cheftommy70 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:16 pm

Well said...very tragic but avoidable...the. Lake is low.... map study... know where you can go 30 mph...

njmike

Post by njmike » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:55 am

Horribly sad. A day of family and fishing turns into a nightmare in the blink of an eye. Anyone know what area of the lake this was?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:19 am

From the news feed you can see the buoy's that mark the shoal to the right as you approach the edwardsville bridge headed north. Very sad and unfortunate accident. I pray for the thirteen year old and uncle. condolences to the family.
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:19 am

This woke me up a bit and I just ordered an auto-inflate life jacket.

I've never worn a vest in a boat before, but certainly will now.

Apparently none of the three boaters were wearing life jackets of any kind.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:12 pm

My condolences to the family. Truly a sad reminder to wear a life vest while underpower. Although I don't know the family we lost a fishing friend, father who enjoys the same hobby as us with his family. Tragedies can happen at any moment. Be safe on the water.
Even after 25 years on this lake I come across new hazards. Last week while on the trolling motor on high I encountered a submerged and embedded log which stopped the boat on a dime and I almost walked right off the front of the boat.

russfrompa

Post by russfrompa » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:01 pm

I hate to hear news like this. We been coming to this lake for 30 years and can't remember the last one.hope not to hear this ever again. Heading up tomorrow for a 2 weeks how low is the water now 3 weeks ago when we were there it was low
:cry:

HappyCamper

Post by HappyCamper » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Life vests will not necessarily protect you from head and other life threatening injuries. To ensure your safety you should slow down especially when water levels are lower than normal.
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown