comments on black lakes dangerous fish when cought

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Curt In Heuvy

comments on black lakes dangerous fish when cought

Post by Curt In Heuvy » Thu May 26, 2016 1:43 pm

just wondering what fish everyone things can be the most dangerous when boated or while trying to boat. i had a run in with a big musky 20 yrs ago it was the first i ever hooked and had no net i knew they have lots of teeth so i thought i was being very careful but still lost lots of skin and some blood also. the fish won that day and i was lucky enough to get my plug back. i could have lost both flesh and lure.

there are a few species that can give people issues. i was just looking to start a thread and see what others had to say on the thought.

cheftommy70

Re: comments on black lakes dangerous fish when cought

Post by cheftommy70 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:15 pm

I would say gar! Never boated one but heard that they raise hell

Susky

Post by Susky » Fri May 27, 2016 7:59 am

I would have to say large bowfin are the worst. Theirs no good way to hold on to them, they're unbelievably strong, they have teeth for days and aren't shy about using them and they absolutely freak out if you put them in the boat. Combine that with the fact they're impossible to hold on to and it's a recipe for disaster. Needless to say we have a strict 'no large bowfin in the boat" policy.

And before somebody says 'just kill em". We don't kill what we don't eat.

njmike

Post by njmike » Fri May 27, 2016 10:56 am

I agree with bowfin. with my limited encounters they are all business when you are trying to get them off the hook. I use a Boga grip that works great. I have never had a fish shake off and it doubles as a scale. Used it last weekend on a 7lb bowfin and you could hear the fishes teeth crunching on the metal.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

Susky

Post by Susky » Fri May 27, 2016 11:38 am

Yeah bocas the way to go, no blood, no slime, no smashed tackle. I had the bright idea to gill a 30 inch bowfin a few years ago during a picture. Got my finger to far up into the back of his mouth, you can guess how that ended.