Game on, my friends!

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

JR

Game on, my friends!

Post by JR » Thu May 19, 2016 7:48 am

We have finally reached that week again where our small crew will be back on the lake. God how I have looked forward to this for, oh, about 50 weeks now. I would like to thank the guys that have posted fishing reports. We all appreciate your time and insight. It definitely helps those of us coming afterwards with anticipation and forming some kind of game plan. I also like the fact that we are keeping that section just reports to make it easy to see them and all of our other conversations here on the general board. I think that makes a great website even better and I thank everyone for that.

I won't be able to post each day, but I will have a report when I get back of the entire week. Due to the fact that we are at Camp Carol, my reports will be for the North end of the lake. We are targeting Pike and panfish. I'll be sure to give everyone the scoop once I get back on what we caught, how deep, structure, etc. However, after many years of fishing here, please don't expect me to draw a big "X" on the water and give you GPS coordinates to it. Finding the fish is really half the fun of fishing and sometimes I think we forget that. To me it's the difference between hunting after scouting your property vs hunting in a paid preserve that's fenced in. When they put you in a stand and tell you the deer will be there at 10:35a.m. it goes from hunting to just shooting an animal. I really believe if you aren't enjoying the chase, you are missing out on a lot of the fun.

Good luck everyone and I will be in touch.

danielsardina

Re: Game on, my friends!

Post by danielsardina » Thu May 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Well spoken Jr. To further make your point, I recently went fishing to Lake Panasofkkee in Florida with someone whom I have mentored bass fishing for several years. Those several years happened to be some incredible fishing for both size and numbers of bass. An average day with Marc would produce 40 bass with a sack of 20 pounds. Well this has been a slow year overall, when we catch a lot of bass, our sack is only 10 pounds or less, and with the exception of one banner day, when we get a sack over 15 pounds, we catch less than 10 bass. He hasn't enjoyed fishing as much because our success is down. Panasofkkee was our worst trip ever, boating only 3 bass, 2 bowfin, 1 pickerel and a warmouth in a full 8 hours of fishing. I tried to expain to Marc that fishing is more about getting outdoors and enjoying the hunt. He just happened to start fishing with me on some years that the fishing was great on a couple lakes, both of which almost dried up last year, killing the majority of the fish in the lakes. I've been on the hunt for other lakes all year that may be as good as what we had, but I'm not sure it exists in our area. Marc's introduction to fishing was fishing at its' peak, so he just expects to catch a lot of fish. My introduction to fishing was in Utica, NY on the banks of the Erie Canal with nightcrawlers my buddies and I picked the night before. We were thankful catching a couple of carp, bullheads and an occasional walleye, northern or smallmouth. The anticipation of the trip was incredible and the possibility of catching a couple fish of any kind kept us coming back.
I believe our poor showing at Panasofkkee and a few other lakes this year will make Marc a better fisherman in the long run because he will have to work harder to find the fish.
When failure preceeds success, you will appreciate success more. It took me a few trips to figure some things out on Black Lake, but I knew a northern NY lake with that incredible habitat had tremendous potential. It took a while, but we consistently do well now. I believe we are going to Black Lake the last week of June, can't wait. If the fishing is as good as usual, I'll have a great time, if the fishing is slow, I'll still have a great time. If you only enjoy fishing when catching, you can join a bass or trout club that has exclusive rights to private waters, or you can pay a guide to put you on fish.