Bass Fishing Black Lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

danielsardina

Re: Bass Fishing Black Lake

Post by danielsardina » Thu May 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks for filling me in on the special regulation. I've never fished Black Lake before bass season, but considered it this year. I love catching smallmouth, so I will wait until it's legal to do so. Quick DEC story. I live in Florida, Henry and Don live in upstate NY. Don forgot his entire wallet on the trip, including his fishing liscence and Henry said don't worry they never check. Henry also has a liscence, but leaves it in his truck because "they never check on Black Lake". Within an hour of our trip, a DEC officer pulls up to us in an old beat up john boat. Friendly guy, but did his job and asked us all for our liscences. The only one of us that could produce one was me, the Florida resident, the two NY guys got tickets for fishing without a liscence. We drove to the nearest Wal-mart to get a copy of Don's liscence and Henry had his in his truck. We wasted half a day's fishing going to the small local courthouse because one guy forgot his liscence and the other didn't feel it was necessary to have it on him. Lesson learned. Neither were fined because they we able to produce their liscences, but the loss of Black Lake fishing time was punishment enough.

jigginmike

Post by jigginmike » Mon May 23, 2016 10:15 am

One more thing about catch and release of bass or any other fish for that matter. If you read the regulations closely enough, species which may not be targeted during their respected closed seasons or fish which are protected must be immediately released without undue handling and that also includes the taking of pictures before release. Posting pictures of yourself with your out of season fish on social media is inviting a visit from DEC. Just saying.

hefcat

Post by hefcat » Mon May 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Just my 2 cents but I believe there is no targeting bass in St. Lawrence County due primarily to the St. Lawrence River and the goby population. Pulling a bass of a bed there invites the gobies to feast on the eggs and does impact the spawn very heavily.

They close a section of the Susquehanna river here in PA during the spawn as well and many fish it anyway claiming they are walleye fishing.

It infuriates me. It's a regulation, follow it whether you agree with it or not.

for the record, my boat is shiny and red but it's aluminum not sparkly fiberglass.