Fishing report for Black Lake - May 2016

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

MArksgr
Newly Registered User

Fishing report for Black Lake - May 2016

Post by MArksgr » Wed May 04, 2016 11:35 am

We are visiting Black Lake next week. Can anyone report on the Pike and Walleye fishing currently? Also, any recommendations on good fishing locations on he lake? Thanks!

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Fishing report for Black Lake - May 2016

Post by Phil » Wed May 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Walleye and Pike season is not open yet; not likely to get a report on them. :big-grin:
Phil

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Wed May 04, 2016 12:39 pm

Same here, we're there next Fri. (5/13). How is the crappie, bullhead and Northern Bite?

...Fish on & tight lines to all!!

mojo

Post by mojo » Wed May 04, 2016 3:12 pm

I've fished this lake for over 35 years. For walleye, I always start at the mouth of the Indian River or Fish Creek. All points around the bays immediatley in the areas early in the morning using black bucktail jigs with a bit of crawler. You my be pestered by small perch and bluegill, but stick with it. If perch are there, so are Walleye. Toss into the weed edge and slowly retirve with a lift, drop and drag approach - once it drops give it 5-10 seconds before the next lift. Most successful times are from 7-10a.m.

I later move to the deeper waters in these bay areas and troll with shad raps and Rapalas (add a couple splitshot 18-24 inches above the lure, Walleye ususlly hug the botton early in the year); agressive males will hit. If no hits, try again dragging a worm harness with a bottom bouncer (worms or leaches work best). Best colors have always been chartruse, yellow or copper blades. I never needed more than 6 pound test mono trolled about 100-125 feet behind the boat in 12-20' of water. One you catch one, mark the depth and fish that depth wherever you troll that day. There is a reason they are in that depth and unless weather changes drastically in the day, they will remain there.

Be patient, you will hook many perch but eventually the walleye will hit. They follow perch schools.

For Northerns, any back bay with weed or grass. Large Mepps squirl tail spinners, Red Devils and live shiners work great. Anchor up, enjoy a cup of coffee and reel them in.

Don't try to fish the entire lake; pick an area and concentrate on the various structures during your trip. Fish are there, you have to figure out how to catch them. More guys burn more gas looking for that lucky spot and pass over the best areas.

Hope this helps!

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Thu May 05, 2016 11:24 am

great advice mojo, I'm back there near the tavern Is. area hammering the crappie. but thats also the area if I'm not mistaken where the walleye come up from the dam in rosie.

MikeE
Newly Registered User

Post by MikeE » Fri May 13, 2016 9:52 pm

Thank for the advice. We will be there for the first time 5/21 thru 5/28. Hope the water warms up a bit. We are really looking forward to this trip.