Who owns Thompson Island?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Bizzy

Who owns Thompson Island?

Post by Bizzy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:29 am

One of our favorite fishing spots is around Thompson Island, and I can't help being curious about the huge house on it. A friend told me that there was even a tennis court on it. From the water it looks abandoned, a shame. Anyone know the story behind it? Thanks

tr21

Re: Who owns Thompson Island?

Post by tr21 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:27 am

I,vebeen coming for over 60 yrs and never saw eayone there. About 5 or so yrs ago there seemed to be some action there. Brush was cut and looked like somone was puting a dock in. But last few yrs no one. It has been one of my good spots for bass with crankbaits, even got 2 eyes but short on one end.

Davidm559
Newly Registered User

Post by Davidm559 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:15 am

Thompson Island is owned by my father, John W. Moore, Jr., who is 85 years old and lives in Farmington, Connecticut. Expect to see more activity on the Island this summer, as a project that I've been working on for the last three years is finally over, and my family will be up to the Lake more this summer.

Dave Moore

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu May 03, 2012 7:59 am

That's great Dave. Hope you have a great season at the lake.
Thanks for the update.
Phil

tr21

Post by tr21 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:16 am

Dave Glad to hear that island will be used. Camp looks like it is nice inside. We also like the porch.

TeamEighmey

Post by TeamEighmey » Thu May 03, 2012 10:27 am

Congrats on finishin your project, hope you and your family have a blast for years to come.....it looks like an awesome property to have a camp on...

Davidm559
Newly Registered User

Post by Davidm559 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:13 am

Thompson Island was sold from a Native American family (The Mandigos) to Judge Thompson (for whom the Island was named). It has also been called Pike's Island. The house was built around 1900, and has a HUGE water tank on the third level, seven bed rooms, a full and half bathroom on the second floor, and a large kitchen, living room, dining room, as well as three bedrooms and two half bath rooms down stairs. People should be careful, as a bear ha been known to den underneath the house during the winter months. The tennis courts no longer exist, but the fence poles that surround it can still be seen (the courts were built from the blue clay that came from what we call the back bay (by Bigge Island). Judge Thompson's estate sold the Island to my grandfather in 1938, and he and my grandmother deeded the Island to my dad and mom in the late 1950's. The crumbling pier in the back (facing Elizabeth Island, collectively owned by my cousins) used to have a boathouse on top of it, but the ice took that out in the early '60's. Glad to see that there's STILL some great fishing off of the Island! My wife and I started to do some work on the Island in the 1990's into the early 2000's. That came to a halt once I (and my firm) got involved in a HUGE mass tort lawsuit in late 2007. Those cases JUST got settled, so I'm looking forward to being back up in God's Country, cleaning out the house and doing some clearing on the Island. I'm also looking forward to seeing lots of my cousins up there in the coming months!

Dave Moore

tr21

Post by tr21 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Dave Thanks for the info. The house sounds real nice. Love to see it sometime.

Bizzy

Post by Bizzy » Mon May 07, 2012 2:17 am

Wow Dave, Thanks for all the great info, and the answer to my question. Enjoy your time at the lake, and we will wave to you if we see you out. Thompson is one of our favorite bass spots, and now we are getting some nice size walleye there.

tr21

Post by tr21 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 am

Bizzy When are you at the lake?

Davidm559
Newly Registered User

Post by Davidm559 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:51 am

Dear All:

I cannot tell you how much I've missed the Lake and the Island! I'll wave at anyone who passes by, and if the house is cleaned up enough, welcome folks up for a visit!

Dave

Rickmet55
Newly Registered User

Post by Rickmet55 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi Dave,
I’m new to the discussion which is pretty old. Did you ever finish up your project on Thompson island?