anybody ever replace the carpeting in their boat?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

johncran

Re: anybody ever replace the carpeting in their boat?

Post by johncran » Thu May 10, 2012 9:24 am

My SuperFisherman is almost 13 years old now and I'm seriously thinking of replacing the carpet with vinyl. After visiting many boat shows over the years I've noticed mfgs. are using more vinyl in their boats. I don't fish barefoot so slipping is not an issue. What I don't like about carpet is the maintenance of vacuuming and stains and it retains water. It's a magnet for every piece of debris that's outside; leaves, sand, worm bedding, lake weeds, blood, etc.
I like the idea of vinyl because it eliminates most of the problems above and you can just hose it down.

bluschen

Post by bluschen » Thu May 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Guys,
I'll tell you the thing that weighs on me the most is this...bear with me for a moment. This boat is a 16ft 98 Fisher Spectrum side console with a 40 hp merc. The original owner bought it in Sept 98 when he retired but passed away the following January, Sadly he never used it.
It sat unused in his garage (seats still in plastic with the trolling motor sitting in the box on the bow) until his wife passed away in 07. The guy I bought it from, bought it from the bank in 2007 put maybe 50 hours on it and sold it to me in 2010 for 6K. He showed me the pictures he took the day he brought the boat home from the bank (so I believe the story).
The carpeting has a spot or two where mice chewed on before I got it and a couple spots where there is a little dry rot where the side carpet meets the top of the gunnels. Needless to say the boat (inside and out) is perfect with these exceptions.
I have been toying with the idea of getting a bigger (18ft) boat in a year or two when I retire. But given the age of the boat I'm not sure that if I pay to get the carpeting redone...I'll ever get my money out of it because of the age of the boat.
I work a lot, and don't know if I'll have enough time to do it myself and do the boat justice. So, I'm just sort of stuck here flip flopping on a decision on weather to replace the carpet first of all, then stuck on if I should pay to have it done or attempt it myself.

Advice here???

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Fri May 11, 2012 12:51 am

You are correct, you will never get back the money you would spend to have this done. If I could sell my boat for what I have in it, I would get twice what I paid for it. Just my thoughts.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri May 11, 2012 5:51 am

I agree with Wild - you will never get your money back (well seldom). Fishing boats, in my mind, are an expense to having the fun they provide; never an "investment" that will bring a profit. But then I buy a boat to use it, not sell it.
Phil

JR

Post by JR » Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 am

Brian,

I couldn't agree more with Phil and Wild. If it is as nice as you say and there are only a couple spots that need work, you would be wasting money to have it carpeted, to sell it. The only reason you would want to do it is if you knew you were keeping the boat for years to come and it really bothered you. My suggestion is to enjoy it like it is or possibly add the trim that guy suggested to cover the edges.

If you are thinking about upgrading, I would start looking a long time before I was ready to buy. I would actually start looking now. It will give you a good idea of what they are going for, both the one you want to buy and the one you will be selling. If you have the ability, I would try to buy the new one in the fall (should be cheaper) and sell the old one in the spring (you should get more for it.)

Good luck.