Bass Fishing in August any good?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ryzer

Bass Fishing in August any good?

Post by ryzer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm trying to plan a trip to Black Lake, for bass fishing. I can come in July, August or September. I'm sure fish can be caught during all months with the right approach, but does anyone recomend a certain month and why. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ken18621

Re: Bass Fishing in August any good?

Post by ken18621 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I have been to BL only twice. Once in early July, Once in late August.

If I were to compare the two against each other I would say that.................

1. It was much warmer in July
2. It was less busy In August (not that July was bad at all).
3. The algae bloom seemed to be better in August
4. The bass fishing was teriffic both times.

I was going to say that any time during the summer months would be a good time, but after looking at my reply I guess that later might be better.

I am sure that a few more will respond to help you with your decision.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:44 am

I was there for a week in mid August last year and the algea bloom was on, fishing was slow at best. We did catch bass, but not as many as we usually catch. From my experience, I would have to say that the earlier in the bass season the better. It all comes down to the weather patterns. And just for the record, I use only artificial lures for bass fishing. Live bait may have worked better for me last year, but that's just not my style. Good luck and most important enjoy the lake for what it is! The sights, the scenery and the people are what keeps me comming back.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:33 am

If you can wait that long go in September. Many of the people that come to Black Lake cannot consider September because of kids in school. The largemouth fishing is about the same as in July and August and the smallmouth fishing is better. It would be good for the businesses if more people without kids could come in September. Right now the only draw for that month seems to be the dash for cash which is just a weekend activity.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

ErikS

Post by ErikS » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:42 pm

The family and I go twice a year. Early June about a week before Bass opener...for crappie and pike...and Sept or early October for bass, pike and crappie. I have to say that the bass fishing in the fall is great most years. In June while pike fishing you cant help but to get a few bass now and again but is seems like the big ones that are caught are in the fall. If you can wait a month...go in the fall.

Erik
The more people I meet the more I like my dogs.

kspako

Post by kspako » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:10 pm

of the 3 months august is the toughest with the algee bloom and the higher water temps. but I do love being on the lake early in the morning.

ErikS

Post by ErikS » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Any time on the lake is a great time. 20 short weeks to go!!
The more people I meet the more I like my dogs.

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:18 pm

If you are planning a trip in early August, I would fish really hard early in the day, late afternoons/evenings. Daytime fishing is usually slow during hot sunny days with a thick algae bloom. Late August after the first few cooler nights usually starts a good bite that lasts thru fall.