boat size?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

rw74

boat size?

Post by rw74 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:20 pm

I am planning a trip in august to BL,I am curious about what size boat the majority of ppl run on this lake ...my boat is a tracker 1448 console steer with a 50/35 jet .I fish the river mostly and never had this boat on a large lake before .I am worried about boat traffic ,jet skies etc...any info would be greatly appreciated ..thanks

Builderone

Re: boat size?

Post by Builderone » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 pm

boat traffic wont be bad. Is that a 14 foot boat? if so I hope the wind is light for ya if it is windy broad lake would be a trip. :shock:

492VS

Post by 492VS » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:00 am

You will be battling it out against other renters using 10-40 HP motors hooked up to row boats and pontoon boats. A few Bass Boats during the weekends. Rarely have I heard or seen a jet skier. Lake is very peaceful and most times you could be the only one fishing in one of the many bays on the lake. Depending upon were you are staying you might have a day or two with a southwest wind which may make transversing the main lake a little wet from spray. Most power boaters and jet skiers run around at the 1000 island area and not this lake. This is a destination were most people come to fish.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:40 am

492VS wrote:You will be battling it out against other renters using 10-40 HP motors hooked up to row boats and pontoon boats. A few Bass Boats during the weekends. Rarely have I heard or seen a jet skier. Lake is very peaceful and most times you could be the only one fishing in one of the many bays on the lake. Depending upon were you are staying you might have a day or two with a southwest wind which may make transversing the main lake a little wet from spray. Most power boaters and jet skiers run around at the 1000 island area and not this lake. This is a destination were most people come to fish.
I agree with 492VS - Black Lake is not a typical recreation lake. Not many skiers or jet boaters. Fishing is what Black lake is all about.
Coming from the "city" nearby, it has a reputation for being weedy, muddy, etc. so the folks that like to "play" stay away. Fisherman's paradise, for sure.
Hope you enjoy it.
Phil

rw74

Post by rw74 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:53 pm

ptrivilino wrote:
492VS wrote:You will be battling it out against other renters using 10-40 HP motors hooked up to row boats and pontoon boats. A few Bass Boats during the weekends. Rarely have I heard or seen a jet skier. Lake is very peaceful and most times you could be the only one fishing in one of the many bays on the lake. Depending upon were you are staying you might have a day or two with a southwest wind which may make transversing the main lake a little wet from spray. Most power boaters and jet skiers run around at the 1000 island area and not this lake. This is a destination were most people come to fish.
I agree with 492VS - Black Lake is not a typical recreation lake. Not many skiers or jet boaters. Fishing is what Black lake is all about.
Coming from the "city" nearby, it has a reputation for being weedy, muddy, etc. so the folks that like to "play" stay away. Fisherman's paradise, for sure.
Hope you enjoy it.

JackM

Post by JackM » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:29 pm

rw74 wrote:I am planning a trip in august to BL,I am curious about what size boat the majority of ppl run on this lake ...my boat is a tracker 1448 console steer with a 50/35 jet .I fish the river mostly and never had this boat on a large lake before .I am worried about boat traffic ,jet skies etc...any info would be greatly appreciated ..thanks
Nice boat! The Tracker 1448 Griz with a 25hp engine is one of my two dream fishing boats. The other is a Smoker 12' Alaskan. How long have you had the boat and what are the typical conditions you use it in. Have you ever had it in 1-2' waves?

Jack

rw74

Post by rw74 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:00 pm

I have had this boat a few years now ,I live in nepa and mostly on the river and small ponds with it ,I have not had this boat in and waves over 6 inches ...I do fish the big dams in the Catskills in a 12 footer and those waves can get very rough ,over 2 ft at times ...not fun

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:18 am

In regard to boat size I would recommend a 16 foot - V bottom stile boat. On the main portion of the lake ( South of Bridge) the South West wind can cook up some really high whitecaps and rollers. Safety is everything and shouldn't be taken lightly. As for Jet Skies I don't know where you guys fish but between July & August they are a pain in the butt. Seems everyone has one in the area between Woods Island and the bridge. I have even seen some teenagers run down ducklings. Jet Skies also tear up shallow waters and disturb spawning fish.
If it were up to me I would ban them from Black Lake altogether as other lakes have. Back to boat size - Be careful or only fish on calm days. Catch & Release