New to Black Lake

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

WilliamC
Newly Registered User

New to Black Lake

Post by WilliamC » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:02 am

Hello, I recently just got a boat. It was auctually handed down to me. My uncle bought it new in 1988 and has been in the family all this time. It has finally been passed down to me, but it needed some work. So its currently in the shop and should be out fairly soon. Ive been doing some looking around to try and see where I should go when I get her back. Black Lake is the one place that seems to be standing out to me. I think the boat is just a tad bit small for the big ol' lake Ontario (its a 15' tri-hul bass boat 75hp M). Anyway, Hoping that I get it back in time for next weeknd, I was wondering where abouts on Black Lake is there ramps to set in? I'm not from the area and want to be sure that I know where the heck i'm going the first time i'm up there. Ive been to a couple lakes closer to me and all the docks around them seem to be private. Thats why I was wondering- Thanks :)

492VS

Re: New to Black Lake

Post by 492VS » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 pm

There is a nice free New York state public launch off of county road 6 about 1 mile south of Edwinsville four corners where SH 58 intersects. Place has plenty of parking also.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Welcome William, your boat should be perfect for Black Lake. As 492VS posted the ramp is easy to get to and well marked from the road. Please be careful out on the lake for there are many shoals and rocks, most are marked well but in some of the remote bays they are not. Also the lake is very big and there are alot of islands that can get you lost. I have many times ran into boaters waving there arms asking where camp XXX is when they are miles away. As all the posters recommend grabbing a map at one of the local tackle shops, they are filled with everything you will need. I would also recommend the you have one PFD for every passenger on the boat, the DEC will check you if they are around. Have a great time, and as most people you WILL be back.
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

WilliamC
Newly Registered User

Post by WilliamC » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Hey! Thank you for those responses!! my buddie and i got up early and loaded up the paddle boat and took it out to the lake today (big boat still being worked on)... We launched at that dock and paddled out to the set of 3 islands that were closest across the main body. There were some good sized bass in there (for us at least, good sized is bigger than our hooks when were in the paddle boat). then we went straight back and coasted the shore for a bit. I was really trying to see if there was a feel for some cat fish while i was out there. I used to fish for catfish alot with my dad in illinois. We used the standard gelly hole worm with Stinky's slopped on it. Havn't seemed to get any luck with it so far. Is there a good spot for Catfish out in Black Lake and whats the hits/tips for them in this climate? Thanks! :)