water level/algae bloom

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

moonriver

water level/algae bloom

Post by moonriver » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I was wondering if the lake is at "normal" level, and also the status of the algae bloom. I know the green water makes for some difficult fishing. Any updated information would be greatly appreciated!
Life is short, everday is a gift from God, make everyday count!

GuidedBassTrips

Re: water level/algae bloom

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:35 am

The lake has just recently dropped to the normal summertime level. The surface temperature hits 80 on a warm afternoon and there is a hint of an algae bloom starting. We'll see how drastic it is this year. It seems to depend on the amount of rain versus heat and its effect on the flow of the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

moonriver

Post by moonriver » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Hey Captain, I appreciate the update! Last year we were at the lake the end of July! The water was very green due to the algae bloom, and the fishing was very difficult! Thanks again, and thanks for your reports. I sure do enjoy reading each one. I find them to be very educational!
Life is short, everday is a gift from God, make everyday count!

Chuckles

Post by Chuckles » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:49 am

I was just checking the web cams out, and I noticed the amount of weeds I could see in Back Bay. Has the water level dropped to where you can see more or have the weeds started growing more?

tmutt

Post by tmutt » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:29 am

GuidedBassTrips wrote:The lake has just recently dropped to the normal summertime level. The surface temperature hits 80 on a warm afternoon and there is a hint of an algae bloom starting. We'll see how drastic it is this year. It seems to depend on the amount of rain versus heat and its effect on the flow of the lake.

I concurr! We just returned from a fantastic two weeks at the lake. The surface temp of the water had been 80 to 85 for that entire time frame. I'm 6 feet tall and could float vertical on a fun noodle and not notice much of a change at my toes. The last day we were there a beginning of a bloom was noticeable. There was only two periods of rain during that time.
Tight lines,

Tmutt