St. Lawrence Fishing Help!

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

JR

St. Lawrence Fishing Help!

Post by JR » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:02 pm

I will be making a trip out to Oak Point in the St. Lawrence River this weekend and was hoping that some of you who frequent this sight also fish there. You can see from my fishing report that I don't know Jack about Walleye fishing, but during our "Pike" trip up here I would like to try for some Yellows. Could anyone give me some tips on where and how to catch some near that area? I will be in a 15 or 16 foot boat with a 40 hp motor, (hoping mine is fixed by then, but may have to borrow my father in law's if not. And it's not that he doesn't have an amazing boat, it's ten times the boat mine is, but he gave me his daughter, I might be pushing my luck asking for his fishing boat too!) So with either boat, i'm guessing I can probably cover a mile or two area. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I would gladly pay you back with tips on pike in northern Black Lake, but as you can also see in my report, 4 1/2 out of my six days this year I looked like a monkey doing a cross word puzzle.

ragincajun

Re: St. Lawrence Fishing Help!

Post by ragincajun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:07 pm

I work in Ogdensburg, right near the St. Lawrence river. I will ask around over the next two days and get something for you. Will you have internet access up here?

JR

Post by JR » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:07 am

I doubt it, Rajin,

I appreciate you trying, and I will check the board tomorrow afternoon before I leave. If you can get it before then, that would be great. If not, I appreciate the try and will have to do what I do best. (Make it up as I go) :)

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Sorry I am too late. All I could find out is that it was had a rocky bottom and was great for small mouth in the summer. I heard walleye are really biting well at the end of big island which is near Lisbon on the St. Lawrence. As you round big island in the direction of the Canadian side, right at the end is where they are biting. Sorry I was late...been working a lot. Worked 7am till midnight yesterday and back at 7am today. Good Luck.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:52 am

ragincajun wrote:Sorry I am too late. All I could find out is that it was had a rocky bottom and was great for small mouth in the summer. I heard walleye are really biting well at the end of big island which is near Lisbon on the St. Lawrence. As you round big island in the direction of the Canadian side, right at the end is where they are biting. Sorry I was late...been working a lot. Worked 7am till midnight yesterday and back at 7am today. Good Luck.
That is a good spot on the river - you will be right in the main channel - lots of current and you will need to adapt techniques. Also, be careful and know where you are in relation to the Canadian border. It is nearby and you would not want a ticket from the Canadians. I purchase a Canadian license every year - there are some pretty good spots on that side of the river as well and the limits/seasons are different.
Phil