Hookless Gar Lure?

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

HappyCamper

Hookless Gar Lure?

Post by HappyCamper » Wed May 11, 2011 3:48 pm

I've seen online where you can catch gar using nothing more then a piece of frayed nylon rope fashioned into lure that looks something like a big tub jig. They claim no hooks are needed but a treble hook can be added in order to catch any other type of fish that may hit it. It supposedly works by entangling the gar's nose in the frayed fibers. I was wondering if anyone has ever used or seen such such lure used with success on the lake?
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

billbo
Site Admin

Re: Hookless Gar Lure?

Post by billbo » Wed May 11, 2011 9:31 pm

It entangles in their teeth and I guess from what I've read, a nightmare to get back off.

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Thu May 12, 2011 7:42 am

I also have seen this lure. I for one would not like the pleasure of testing this. Gar are hard enough to get off a hook. I could not imagine untangling thier nose from a mess of rope, the way they fight it would have to be a wrapped up mess. If you try it let us know how it worked for you.

dougw

Post by dougw » Mon May 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Many years ago when I was a little more stupid than I am today, I got close to a pair of Gar which I thought would be fun to 'boat net'............what a nightmare that was...A valuable lesson was learned that day.....
I've been coming to Black Lake since 1967...